The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lookup Table - Voltage in/ Voltage Out    - SPECTRE (Read 1260 times)
kevinvinv

Lookup Table - Voltage in/ Voltage Out    - SPECTRE
Jul 30th, 2010, 4:05pm

What would be the best way for me to implement a voltage in, voltage out lookup table in spectre?

Community Fellow

Re: Lookup Table - Voltage in/ Voltage Out    - SPECTRE
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2010, 7:30pm

Kevininv,

Use the Verilog-A table model.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
kevinvinv

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2010, 11:36am

I was hoping for something other than Verilog A...   Simulating without verilog-A is like living life without a stomach ache.  Almost every time I have convergence issues- I trace it to a verilogA block.  Anyhow-  if that is my only option-  I guess I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 5:16am

trace it to a ... poorly-written? ... verilogA block?

There are lots of examples of poorly-written Verilog-A modules here.  You do sort of need a basic understanding of the mechanics of Spice -- Newton-Raphson, so the module had better have continuous derivatives, etc.

Be careful when you build your $table_model -- some splines can give strange values when extrapolating, or even when interpolating, such that the Newton solver will get confused.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kevinvinv

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 5:33am

You know I've heard that "You just need to write it correctly" sort of thing.  I've written a lot of VerilogA.  I've used examples from the Cadence ahdl Lib unmodified,  I've read books and taken classes.  Bottom line-  it more often than not is the cause of my convergence problems.   I have MUCH better luck using analogLib components to model behavior.

I suppose I am still doing something wrong   Smiley

Thanks for the comments!  I appreciate it!  

I got my table model working- did indeed see strange interpolation but when I switched to order "1" -  I got what I wanted-  just standard PWL.

Thanks again!

Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:04am

Kevin,
    There are a series of very common mistakes that people make with Verilog-A that tend to cause most of the problems. Once you understand the language well enough not to make those, life with Verilog-A gets much easier. Next time Verilog-A causes you grief, consider posting your model to this forum. Perhaps we can point out your mistake.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.