The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 12th, 2024, 2:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wrong simulation results given by Spectre Turbo (Read 2742 times)
frozenduck

Wrong simulation results given by Spectre Turbo
Sep 06th, 2010, 1:09am

Hi all,

I found when running spectre turbo for DC analysis in some circumstance (ex. low supply voltage, low temperature or transistor corners), it gives different DC operating point compared to spectre w/o turbo enabled. I think the results calculated by spectre turbo is wrong because if I just increase the temperature or voltage a little bit (even 0.1 degree), the results between spectre with and without turbo enabled are the same.

The circuit is an OTA with CMFB simulated in closed-loop configuration. Wrong DC operating points usually show the output common voltages saturate to supply voltage.

I tried to tighten the reltol but there were no differences between results. Is there any possible reason causing these wrong simulation results? How to fix it? Thanks.

p.s. the simulator is MMSIM72

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Wrong simulation results given by Spectre Turbo
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2010, 5:30am

Is it possible you have multiple dc operating points?

You could try taking the "wrong" solution from +turbo and giving that to plain spectre and seeing if it converges.  If so, there are multiple operating points, and you need some sort of nodeset to push +turbo to find the right one.  Hopefully, you can find a few nodes to set, rather than resorting to using plain spectre just for the dc op pt.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
frozenduck

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2010, 8:04pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Taking the results and giving them to Spectre does it mean using some Vdc to force these nodes’ voltage and checking if it converges?

Because Spectre turbo gives this possible DC op pt, it means my circuit may work on this unwanted point and I need to make sure (using aux ckt?) it will not happen, right?

Best Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2010, 6:11am

frozenduck wrote on Sep 7th, 2010, 8:04pm:
Taking the results and giving them to Spectre does it mean using some Vdc to force these nodes’ voltage and checking if it converges?

No, not Vdc.  Look at spectre -help dc for information about readns and nodesets.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.