The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IEEE Publication Question (Read 1412 times)
tbc

IEEE Publication Question
Sep 15th, 2010, 12:49pm

Hello,

My friend and I designed an novel circuit, which we are trying to get published. We did the design, got the simulation results and wrote the report to be published.

When we submitted the report to our professor to revise and make changes. What he did was, did the revision, redid layout of the circuit  and then placed his name as the first author, made me the second author and my friend the final author. This I think was totally unfair and uncalled for.

Throughout the whole circuit design, he did not help one bit. Now he is hogging all the credit. Whats worse is that he removed the acknowledgment section, in which we state that this was a part of our class project and we thanked the university.

So my main question is does it matter in IEEE Publication, whose name comes first? Also, if someone else sees the paper will he think we did less of the work? Thirdly, is there a way I can put in the paper that we contributed more than the professor.

I am really stuck. I do not want to ruin my chances with the professor because he is also my thesis advisor.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: IEEE Publication Question
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010, 6:10pm

Hi,

you are not the first one to say that, and you won't be the last either...

Was it the professor's idea? If so, maybe he feels entitled to be the first author (which is fair in a way). From what you described, the professor did not talk with you before/after changing the authorship. This to me is the thing to be worried about. I think authorship is a serious issue, especially for young professors, and he definitely knew what he was doing when he changed the names around.  

For the professor, being first author could help determine his annual bonus/promotions etc. I think in the case of a novel circuit design, most people look at the first author as the person who came up with the idea.

good luck with the paper,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010, 10:04pm

Hi tbc,

Many years ago, I came with a novel idea on frequency hopping systems and shared the idea with my boss who was very impressed with it. I wrote up a disclosure and sent it to my boss to forward it to the attorney. When the attorney sent me the patent application draft, I saw that the order of the names were changed - my boss became the first inventor (though he did not contribute at all to the idea). I was incensed, but decided to talk to him about this - he readily agreed to put my name first (i suspect not to make a big deal out of this as it would make him look bad).

My suggestion would be - be bold and talk to your professor on why you think you should be the first inventor. Offer to make him the first author if he does not think that you should be the first. You can do this politely and respectfully, and thank him profusely for his minor edits!!! (would be a useful skill to learn to deal with the parasitic types at work place)

Be cautious of course if your prof is the totally unreasonable type and keep copies of all emails, different versions of the papers etc (in case it came to an independent evaluation)

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2010, 10:06pm

Hi tbc,

Needless to say that if your professor came up with the idea, he probably deserves to be the first author.

View Profile   IP Logged
tbc

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2010, 1:36am

Thank You guys for your suggestions,

Yes I talked to the professor. He said that he put his name first because he wanted to be the corresponding author ( I guess that means that if IEEE wants to contact the people who wrote the paper, they will probably correspond to him ).

Is this true? Does the corresponding author need to be first or can we specify separately the person IEEE needs to be contacting. My friend and I do not have any experience in publishing the paper, so I think its best to make him the corresponding author.

Also, it was not his design. It was our design from scratch and like I said he did not help one bit.

Anyway best of luck to all the people who are facing such a problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2010, 4:50am

Hi  tbc,

I can't say for sure, but I think any author can be the corresponding author. And that's not the half of it. In fact there is really no big deal about being the corresponding author. There is really nothing to it. Submission is done through email or online, and requires maybe a simple cover letter. If your paper requires revision then you simply need to go over all the points mentioned by the reviewers and address them one by one. I am quite fresh myself, but I have been the corresponding author for all of my papers including the first.

Anyway I hope your paper submission is successful. The first paper is always a good feeling Cheesy

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2010, 5:12am

See also http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors/publish/publish_.... The corresponding author does not have to be the first author. It is common practice to list the supervisor as last author (see http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/reprint/23/5/1283.pdf and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2247376/).

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:32am by Frank Wiedmann »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2010, 3:12pm

Hi tbc,

The only qualification to be a corresponding author is that you should be capable of checking email and read/write english both of which i think you eminently qualify for Smiley. Beyond this, no experience is needed to be a corresponding author - be sure of course to go through all the points of the reviewer.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.