The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 4:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
modelling problem in peak current mode boost DC-DC (Read 2670 times)
arunm

Chennai, India
modelling problem in peak current mode boost DC-DC
Sep 28th, 2010, 5:16am

I am designing a peak current mode, boost DC-DC with a boost factor around 9 and typical load current close to the DCM-CCM boundary.
But the standard state space averaged models available (I used Erikson/Maksimovic book) give a discontinuity at the DCM/CCM boundary. Specifically, when looking at control voltage to output transfer function, the DC gain falls when going from CCM to DCM by around a factor of five while the dominant pole is fairly constant meaning the UGB falls by a factor of 5. Is this a modelling artifact or the DC gain/UGB actually falls at the boundary?
To see if this is indeed true, I did an experiment with an ideal DCDC. I closed the loop with a (intended) poor phase margin. Then I looked at the transient response while giving a load transient. I chose the Iload =Icrit (boundary) and gave a positive and negative step. positive step means the DCDC will go into CCM and negative step means the DCDC goes to DCM. I noticed an appreciable change in the frequency of ringing. The ringing frequency was indeed around a factor of 5-6 different in the two cases.

Thanks in advance,
Arun

View Profile arunm arunm_ece   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.