The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
global nodes in verilog-ams (Read 2837 times)
Luke Whitaker

Marin, Switzerland
global nodes in verilog-ams
Oct 13th, 2010, 6:26am

Hello design community,

The cell I'm trying to make a verilog-ams module for has several global power nodes.  There is a power on reset in the module that needs to monitor a global power signal.  The top level schematic declares this node with an exclaimation point, vdd! for example.  The global signal's ramp rate is controlled by a vpwl, so the global cannot be a static real value.  How do I access these global power nodes from my verilog-ams module?

In general I don't like global variables (other than ground '0'), but the designer I'm working with does and wants to keep them in his design.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Luke

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: global nodes in verilog-ams
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010, 7:01am

The global node has to be defined somewhere. One way to do this is to create a separate module at top-level - say "module globals ();" - that contains these top-level nodes and then reference them from the AMS by using their hierarchical names:

Code:
`include "disciplines.vams"

module globals ();

electrical \vdd! ; // escaped identifier so make sure whereever you use it there is whitespace following it.

endmodule

module some_design_block ( ... );

analog begin

@(above(V(globals.\vdd! ) - thresh_hi))

end

endmodule

You might run into trouble using the escaped identifier - in that case make a connection from vdd! to a global node with a name that doesn't require an escaped identifier.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.