The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trouble extracting unCox (Read 5313 times)
dxt78

Ohio
trouble extracting unCox
Apr 27th, 2011, 10:22am

Hi all,

I'm trying to characterize a new process, and having trouble extracting unCox.  My approach has been to plot ID vs. sqrt(VGS), then find the slope of the curve in the region where I will operate the transistor.  Since ID=(1/2)*unCox*(VGS-VT)^2, the slope of the ID vs. sqrt(VGS) curve will be equal to sqrt(1/2*unCox*W/L).  The unCox obtained by the above method is approximately 700uA/V^2, which seems reasonable.

My problem arises when I try to use .op in Cadence to confirm the above extracted value for unCox.  I print betaeff, which I understand betaeff=(kprime)*W/L.  Now, two strange things happen:

1) Cadence is giving the same value of betaeff for transistor of different sizes
2) Assuming kprime = 1/2*unCox, the unCox printed by Cadence is orders of magnitude from the value extracted.

Thank you in advance for your input and comments!

View Profile   IP Logged
Braski

Re: trouble extracting unCox
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011, 3:04am

are you sure than betaeff is k'*W/L? for example, in MOS MODEL 9 (Philips) the parameter BETSQ is the unCox*W/L for a reference square transistor, so it is equal to unCox, where un is considered without vertical or horizontal field degeneration. Maybe in your models is something like that, and this is why you have the same value for different device size. However, orders of magnitude are a strange thing. Maybe betaeff is not what you intended. What kind of models do you use?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2011, 5:31am

What model are you using?  Is it a MOS or JFET model (since you are "jfetuser") ?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
dxt78

Ohio
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2011, 10:25am

Thanks for the replies.  

Although I am a (former) "jfetuser", I am now using all MOS!

You bring up a good point about the exact definition of "betaeff".  Some sources I looked at online define this as kprime*W/L, but in my case I am certain that it is equal to betaeff=k=unCox, because the parameter does not change with aspect ratio (W/L).  

I am not certain as to exactly which model I am using, because the process and associated models come with very limited documentation.  It's certainly possible that betaeff is simply a fitting parameter that is nowhere close to what I am assuming it to be.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.