The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ploting expressions in ac analysis (Read 5309 times)
sutapanaki
Community Member

Ploting expressions in ac analysis
Apr 27th, 2011, 5:17pm

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to do the following in cadence.

Let’s say I do an ac analysis. The analysis basically sweeps the frequency and whatever it plots is with respect to frequency (frequency is on the x-axis). I want to create an expression which includes, besides other things also the frequency. Let’s say I want to plot a*f+b where “a” and “b” are just some numbers, “f” is the frequency. Note, I want to plot this thing, not calculate it for a given frequency value. I can’t figure out how to get the frequency from the AC analysis and include it in the expression. Since ac plots are generated versus frequency, it should be accessible somehow, just thinking logically. Can you suggest a way of doing this? Please, note that I would prefer not to do this with ocean or writing veriloga. May be just using the calculator.
The same question stands for transient analysis and including time as a variable in an expression.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011, 10:54am by sutapanaki »  
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Ploting expressions in ac analysis
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011, 12:43am

I am not familiar with CADENCE - however, I am sure it is possible.
I work with PSpice and there is no problem to plot, for example, the Nyquist diagram which needs the real part of a gain on the horizontal axis. This is accomplished by choosing "x-axis variable" in the plot menu.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2011, 5:28am

You should probably mention which waveform viewer you are using: awd, wavescan, ...

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sutapanaki
Community Member

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2011, 10:52am

Thank you, guys, for the response. I'm using wavescan, which is now called viva. Long time ago, when Pspice was still MicroSim I used to use it and many things were easy to be done with it. There is no x-axis variable in cadence's calculator now. There is xval, which gives you a single x-axis value for some conditions. From ac analysis, spectre saves frequency, real and imaginary parts. What I want is access to the frequency vector, that's all. It should be simple. I talked to cadence support and they said write a skill. But if for plotting a line I have to write a skill, I may as well get the data in matlab and work there. It approximately the same effort.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2011, 12:52pm

I think you can use the function xval(signal). If you use this on any voltage in your circuit it will return the frequency as a vector. So you can make your expression as a*xval(VF("/vout"))+b, assuming you have a signal called "vout" in your circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
sutapanaki
Community Member

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2011, 1:48pm

Great, so simple and it seems doing the right thing. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.