The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
regulator model convergence problem (Read 2466 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
regulator model convergence problem
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:06am

Hi Guys,

I tried to simulate an 8MHz crystal oscillator with the current limiting voltage regulator. That regulator is one of Ken's Verilog-AMS model.

http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/functional-blocks/regulator/regulator....

The average current consumption of my 8MHz crystal oscillator is more than 40 μA. Its peak current is near 80 μA. It runs off the regulator output. When I set vmax = 1.9V, and imax = 1mA, the simulation looks good. Then I want to check what happens if the current is limited by the regulator. I set imax = 60 μA and vmax = 1.9V. The simulator failed to converge in transient analysis.

I tried to set timeTol and exprTol in the cross function. For example,
@(cross((v-vmax)/vmax - (i-imax)/imax, 0, 1e-6, 1e-3))
 ;
But it failed. How do I make an estimation about the tolerances for this simulation?

The output log file is attached.

Any comments are appreciated.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: regulator model convergence problem
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2011, 12:20am

The following is the waveform of avdd current, voltage, and clock output of the crystal oscillator. It is weird that avdd current has a big spike, a few hundred ampere, before the convergence failure.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.