The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 5:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vcvs feedback in PSS analysis with Spectre (Read 642 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

vcvs feedback in PSS analysis with Spectre
Aug 21st, 2011, 7:38pm

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with SpectreRF PSS anlaysis. I used a VCVS (voltage-controlled voltage source) in a negative feedback loop for DC biasing, but I found that although DC-analysis was able to find the correct solution, PSS anlaysis was not. In fact even DC analysis failed to find the correct solution when I switched the simulator to Turbo mode. Instead of forcing the two input terminal voltages of the VCVS to be equal, the negative input terminal just went to zero, and the output went to 1000V (my reference was 1 V, and the loop gain was 1000). I am sure it is negative and not positive feedback.

Has anybody experienced similar issues, and have a solution?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: vcvs feedback in PSS analysis with Spectre
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:46am

Seems like your feedback is not working correctly (how can the negative input be zero when the output is 1000 V?). When pss analysis does not converge, I usually do a tran analysis to see more clearly what is happening in the circuit.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
SoliS

Re: vcvs feedback in PSS analysis with Spectre
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2011, 1:55pm

the manual of the pss simulator says it uses a special algorithm to calculate the steady-state of the circuit, which is less accurate than waiting for a transient sim to settle out. it could be that this special algorithm does not work well for your circuit for whatever reason - i second the opinion on running transient analysis to see whats going on.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.