The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 1:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCVS for differential signalling (Read 856 times)
Larry_80
Community Member

VCVS for differential signalling
Dec 06th, 2011, 12:43pm

Hello All,
In spice deck, one can measure the difference btw 2 node voltage by using E element with gain=1 i.e VCVS. I want to know how to measure the difference btw 2 curents I(Vx1)-I(Vx2). Can i use a CCCS in hspice for this?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: VCVS for differential signalling
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2011, 4:03pm

depends on the particular EDA tool and its capabilities.

If the direct method of current montior and buffer is not there, people build (sort of) equivalent models using small series resistances (milliohm in model is not going to affect most circuit designs) which produce a voltage equivalent to current signal, then add-subtract-multiply voltages, and then convert back to a current.

Depends on the tool set, most better ones have ways of monitoring the currents directly.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2011, 2:23am

hello,
so you want to measure current difference, so fist convert current into voltage and then subtract.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2011, 7:10am

Larry_80 wrote on Dec 6th, 2011, 12:43pm:
Hello All,
In spice deck, one can measure the difference btw 2 node voltage by using E element with gain=1 i.e VCVS. I want to know how to measure the difference btw 2 curents I(Vx1)-I(Vx2). Can i use a CCCS in hspice for this?

I don't recall whether you can have two input sensors in the hspice CCCS; I would probably use a pair of CCVS to generate voltages from the currents, then use a VCVS to compute the difference in the node voltages.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.