The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Integrated noise for opamp is not converged. (Read 1195 times)
Jacki

Integrated noise for opamp is not converged.
Dec 19th, 2011, 1:40pm

Hello,

I am simulating a traditional two-stage operational amplifier with miller and lead compensation. The DC gain is 70dB, and gain bandwidth is 580MHz, with the phase margin 115 deg.

After I achieve the specifications above, I start to simulate the integrated noise. The opamp is fully differential, the load is pure capacitor in each branch with the value 350fF. According to the first-order filter theory, the final integrated noise should be KT/C. For each branch, the integrated noise is 1.08e-4 volt.

When I use ADE L/print/noise summary to plot the integrated noise, the results are as follows,
 When integrated band is from 1KHz to 10MHz,
total summarized noise = 0.132026V, total input referred noise = 6.20415e-5V.

When integrated band is from 1KHz to 100MHz,
total summarized noise = 0.132042V, total input referred noise = 1.10047e-4V.  According to the simulation results, it seems the total summarized noise is converged, and the input referred noise is increasing when the band is higher (not converged).

When I show this results to my boss, he told me how the total summarized noise can be so large, it is around 132mV!!! For the opamp, the noise cannot be so high. Compared with the value of KT/C, it seems the integrated noise is huge.

This is my first question, why the integrated noise of the opamp is so large. How does spectre calculate the input referred noise?

According to Ken's view "the input-referred noise is the ratio of the output noise to the gain". When the integrated band is larger, the gain of the opamp is dropping, therefore the input referred noise should be worse. But my boss told me when the band is larger, the gain of the opamp is dropping, but the noise of the opamp at higher frequency is dropping as well, therefore the input referred noise should be converged too even for the infinite integrated band.

My second question is how to get the converged integrated input referred noise if the integrated band is going to infinite.

I am confused now. Anybody can tell me give me some help. Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Re: Integrated noise for opamp is not converged.
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 1:55am

Hi,

for correct noise evaluation look at the OUTPUT and integrate this! The input noise at large f is always huge, because the gain is becoming small, but it does not matter. What counts ONLY is what you take for further evaluation circuitry - just the output voltage.

The reason why people still often looks to input noise density is that is easier to calculate e.g. from 1st stage transconductance, and you can use it for different configurations (like buffer, 100x amp, integrator, etc.). But is is more a starting point, at the end the output noise counts.

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2012, 11:38pm

Hello Stephan,

Thank you for your reply.

I think when using spectre noise analysis, I can get both the total summarized noise and input referred noise either in the form of volt or square(volt). I think the total summarized noise is the integrated output noise, and it is huge, around 132mV. Then divided by the gain, I get the input referred noise.

I am confused why the total summarized noise is so large. Now I think the total summarized noise is output noise, not intput noise, If I understand wrong, please correct me.

For the input referred noise, Ken said "the input-referred noise is the ratio of the output noise to the gain", but Ken didn't menthion if this gain is DC gain, or the gain should be varied as the frequency.

Any comments are appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2012, 5:46am

Hello,

In the simulation, I didn't turn off flicker noise, do you think it is the problem to make the total summarized noise not converged?

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2012, 8:20am

Hello,

I turn off the flicker noise, then the integrated noise reduced to 12mV. Then I turn off thermal noise of the transistor, just keep the noise from parasitic resistance at gate, source, and drain, i get the integrated noise 400uV.

I want to ask if this integrated noise value normal for opamp.

And if I don't turn off the thermal noise of the transistors, in the Pnoise simulation, the thermal noise of opamp dominates the total integrated noise, around 94%, and the switched capacitor sampling noise only occupies 6%, is it normal for SC-amplifier?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2012, 11:47am

Jacki wrote on Jan 16th, 2012, 11:38pm:
   For the input referred noise, Ken said "the input-referred noise is the ratio of the output noise to the gain", but Ken didn't mention if this gain is DC gain, or the gain should be varied as the frequency.

The gain varies with frequency; the input noise at frequency f is the output noise at f divided by the gain at f.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.