The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 3:18pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question for stb analysis (Read 2987 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Question for stb analysis
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:56pm

Hi Guys,

I have a testbench for stability of a regulator, which is shown in the following picture. The loop response is weird if the loop is broken in the feedback path. The loop phase started from 0 degree, increases 90 degree below 1 kHz. I get correct loop response if the loop is broken at the gate of MOS transistor. I know I have not broken all loops in the testbench if the loop is broken in the feedback path. However, I want to know if anybody can explain the weird behavior.

Thanks
Yawei

Picture1_004.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Question for stb analysis
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2011, 5:49am

hello,
have you  simulated through cadance .stb or by introducing LC filer? can you show the weird behavior and here only one loop it doesn't matter where you break i guess.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:02am

Hard to say without see the loop response or the schematic of your buffer. One guess is that you have two loops, that can give this 0 phase at low freqs and the increasing before it rolls of.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:15am

hello,
where do you see two loops, i guess the capacitor around the pass transistor he introduced for breaking the loop, if not i didnt understand the purpose of the capacitor.

thanks,
raj.

rfidea

Europe
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2011, 11:37am

I do not understand the capacitor either. In fact, I do not understand the discussion about breaking the loop at different locations. The stb will give you the same respons independet where the probe is inserted, as long as it is in the feedback loop.

I agree that there is no second loop in the drawn schematic. But since the amplifier is jut one block it is hard to know how it looks like inside. What I mean with two loops is that stb can give you this respons in there is two nested loops in the circuit. I had that problem in a CMFB loop once. The phase started at 0 degrees and then increased before rolling of.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2011, 12:18pm

hello,
i dont think he is using stb method, may be he is breaking loop by lc filter

thanks,
raj.

ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2011, 7:14pm

Hi Raj and rfidea,

I am sorry that I have not provide enough details like loop response. I did stb analysis. And the following are loop response. The first is wrong loop response when I insert iprobe in the feedback path.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2011, 7:24pm

The second is a correct loop response when I insert iprobe at the gate of MOS transistor.

If I insert the iprobe in the feedback path, and set the resistance to 0 Ω in the red eclipse, I get correct loop response, too. It confuses me.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2011, 7:23am

Strange indeed! What happens if you remove the capacitor and replace the inductor with a short. At DC those changes should not change your circuit, loop gain and phase of 0 or 180 degrees should be the same.

Do you even then get "wrong" response with the probe in the feedback and "correct" response with the probe in series with the gate?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2011, 10:50pm

Hi rfidea,

That cap is a big compensation capacitor. So I do not remove it. That inductor is a part of bond wire model. The loop gain and phase do not change when I replace the inductor with a short.

The "wrong" response has nothing to do with the inductor. It does relates to the 0.1 Ω resistor. If I short that resistor, I get "correct" loop response when iprobe is in the feedback path.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2011, 11:54am

It did not mean that you should remove the capacitor, or the inductor, from the design. It was just a test to see if and how the loop response at DC changes in such case.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2011, 7:24pm

I am sorry that the first picture is a simplified schematic that does not include all important details. Please have a look at the following schematics. At that time, I thought the 75 Ω resistor branch, which is a open-loop output, was not in the loop. In fact, it has around 18 dB gain for the blue loop if there is 0.1 ~ 0.2 Ω resistance in series to the ideal ground. I mean node 0 or gnd for the simulator when I say ideal ground. So I move iprobe to the opamp output as shown in the following picture. Now it is done.

Picture1_011.png
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2011, 1:24am

Ok, well done. Two loops can give you strange phenomena. Even your "wrong" response is true in some means. There is usually no danger to have 0 degree phase at low frequency as long as it increases to +90 before it rools off. But it is always good to know why it behaves as it does.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2011, 4:38am

hello rfidea,
i didn't understand why phase has to go 90 and come down to 0 for stable operation, even if it's fall from 0 without going to 90 it may stable only thing what we care is weather it is encircle -1 point or not..what do you say?

Thanks,
Raj.

rfidea

Europe
Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2011, 1:10pm

It was probably a simplification from my side. If the open loop gain and phase behaves strange, which it was in this case and also in the one you suggest, I think one should check the stability with the complete Nyquist criteria. In that you should count the number of encircles of -1 but also the number of poles in the right half plane of the open loop transfer function.

If you do this for the "wrong" respose in this example you see that the transition from 0 degree to +90 degree is a pole in the RHPL for the open loop. But you will also find an encircle of -1. The signs are opposite so the number of poles in the RHPL for the closed loop is zero and the closed loop is then stable.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.