The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Cadence Spectre have a function to turn off flick noise in noise simulatio? (Read 7687 times)
Jacki

Does Cadence Spectre have a function to turn off flick noise in noise simulatio?
Jan 17th, 2012, 2:48am

Hello,

I hear in eldo users can turn off flick noise in noise simulation. I don't know if there is the similar function in Cadence Spectre. I want to simulate the integrated noise for an opamp, but the integrated noise is too high. I think maybe the flicker noise disturbs, so I want to turn off it, and want to check how the result is if there is only thermal noise, is the integrated noise closed to KT/C.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Does Cadence Spectre have a function to turn off flick noise in noise simulatio?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2012, 4:35am

hello,
many times i have turned off Kf parameters in models while doing noise simulations in H-spice, i guess this can be done independent of simulator.

One more thing in cadance you can select while display the results which noise you are more interested.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: Does Cadence Spectre have a function to turn off flick noise in noise simulatio?
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2012, 5:24am

Hello Raj,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please give more details about turn off flicker noise by setting Kf=0? Because usually the model libraries are in the server, I cannnot change it. Do you mean copy the model to local directory, then change it, and add them for the simulation.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2012, 2:37am

yes..something like that. But this name Kf depends on the foundry..for TSMC models i did that.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2012, 3:07am

Hello Raj,

Thank you very much. I already modify the model and turn off the flicker noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2012, 4:26am

Jacki,

You should use all the tools in the toolbox. In this case, the tool
you want to use is the ADE noise summary. It provides an itemized
list of noise contributors and it tells what the source of the noise
is. For example, for a bjt+rb, rc, ic, ... You should not and do not
need to modify the models.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2012, 7:17am

kf=0 only works for some noise models, for example bsim4's fnoimod=0.  If your model has fnoimod=1, then you'll need to change that parameter also.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2012, 9:29am

Thank you for your comments, Sheldon and Geoffrey_Coram.

Now I turn off the flicker noise by modifying the device models because I want to compare without the flicker noise, how large the integrated thermal noise is, and it seems without flicker noise, the integrated noise is reduced a lot, at least half. And if the fmin of the integration window is lower, like 1 Hz, the flicker noise is dominant in the total integrated noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:51am

Models are only input textfiles to the tool.

If you have interest in the link between a specific physical effect modeled, described by a number in the model text file, and your circuit effect you should use it as inputs.

Barry Gilbert describe this method for some decades as "Foundation Design" because it gives you the best basis to understand the relationship between the physics of the devices and the topology and dimensioning of the circuits to overcome them. It lead finally to robust designs.

After these decades the foundries still provide "verification" enviroments, named "kits" instead of "design" enviroments. Some managers still think that is the most productive way to get to robust working circuits Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.