The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 8:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transient noise contribution list (Read 3192 times)
michaelFCT

Transient noise contribution list
Jun 21st, 2012, 4:27am

Hello everyone,

I have an issue regarding transient noise.

I'm simulating a simple active RC integrator (transistor level amplifier). I apply a sine wave at the input and get a sine wave at the output. Perform an FFT on the output and I get a given THD.
In the spectrum the harmonics are clearly visible.

I then activate tran noise (only Fmax specified, Fmin left blank), set noise contribution to off and select all devices in my testbench. So, basically what I expect is the same result as before. But now I get a much improved THD (+15dB).

I then deactivate the noise contribution list, i.e., I perform a normal tran noise simulation with all noisy elements active. Now I get a worse SNR (expected) but my THD is still better than with tran noise off.

What is tran noise doing if all noisy devices are off?
May I be misinterpreting the noise contribution list?

One final question: This question was posted in another message but nobody answered. Is there any way to find what who are the noise contributors and their contribution during a tran noise simulation?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Transient noise contribution list
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2012, 10:06am

Can I ask why you are using transient noise. Wouldn't conventional noise analysis be faster, more accurate, and naturally generate the list of individual noise contributors?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Transient noise contribution list
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2012, 11:33am

I second Ken's question.

But I'll take a stab at your original question by suggesting that perhaps enabling transient noise causes the simulator to decrease tolerances, because it expects to have to resolve the tiny noise voltages added.  Or perhaps the Fmax specification constrains the timesteps, because the simulator expects to be generating a new random number every 1/Fmax seconds (for every noisy device).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.