The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 12:29am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
32kHz crystal (Read 566 times)
analog_wiz

Universe
Re: 32kHz crystal
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2012, 10:06pm

Hi ic_engr, a gain of 7-8 in magnitude should be fine and should be worst case (least no across corners).Thats why i suggest having some way of adding currents (in case your oscillator does not start due to lack of gain).I  implemented a 600nA xtal and things are fine.If you are using nmos1v devices then take care of leakages(nmos1v cap gate leakage).Yes the startup times are huge (order of 1-2 sec for 32khz). Just deque the xtal and give a run inorder to see if things are starting up properly across corners.

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2013, 7:44am

Hello analog_wiz,

All theoretical calculations for pierce oscillator give minium start-up time using |Rneg| which is computed at gmopt.

t=2*Lm/|Rneg|.

I believe the assumption is at gmopt, the |Rneg| is maximum so we get minimum time.

However, if the actual gm of the circuit is well above gmcritical, but BELOW gmopt, what will be the |Rneg| at the actual gm and how will the max start up time be computed.

Also I am planning to use a Feedback resistor of ~6Meg-7Meg with a bia current of 200nA.

Regard

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2013, 12:08pm

For transient start-up, I was using a max step of 100nsec AND IC=5nA (in crystal inductor). I see oscillations grown to full amplitude ~400msec.

However, if I make ic=0, the oscillations gre to 2mV in 400msec.
To predict Start-up time should I use IC=5nA or NOT.

Appreciate your feedback

Regards

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.