The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About IMD simulation (Read 1439 times)
urian

About IMD simulation
Dec 15th, 2012, 10:43pm

Hi,there
As we know that when we designing an ADC, we can perform trans analysis and apply FFT on the result of an ideal DAC to get the spectrum. Then we can measure dynamic parameters as SNR, SFDR. But, how could we simulate the IMD of the ADC? All I can image is two ways:

a) using a Vsin source and set two close spaced frequencies and perform the normal FFT analysis.
b)using two Vsin sources with two close spaced frequencies respectively and apply them to the ADC input simultaneously.

I have only tried the first method and find that the IMD is very low in my 8b ADC case, about 20dBc. But the SFDR is as high as 64dBc. So I think this method may be wrong.
Now I heard that the only way in spectre to simulate the IMD is perform pss analysis, but as the ADC scale is large, I doubt the pss is no use for the large circuit. What's your option?

Regards
urian

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: About IMD simulation
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2012, 9:24pm

Urian,

You should probably provide more information about your setup.
There is a process for defining the input frequency for single tone tests.
Have you applied the same approach to selecting the tones for the IMD
measurement? Spectral leakage could explain the results you are
reporting. One other option is to try using a window function, Cosine^2,
to reduce spectral leakage. However, this requires that the tones are
relatively far apart, that is, you may need to add extra points to the
FFT.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.