The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain measurement using S21 and transient simulations using Cadence Spectre (Read 3333 times)
Sharath Raju

Gain measurement using S21 and transient simulations using Cadence Spectre
Dec 31st, 2012, 6:27pm

Hi,

I am trying to measure the gain of a low noise amplifier designed using MOS technology in Cadence. The LNA is a made of an NMOS in common source configuration operating at 10 GHz (narrow-band). S-parameter simulations reveals the gain S21 to be 10.6 dB or 3.4 V/V.

I wanted to verify the gain value using transient simulations and replaced the input and output ports using "vsin in series with 50 ohm resistance" and a 50 ohm load resistance respectively. I applied a 1 mV amplitude, 10 GHz sine-wave at the input and see a 4.61 mV amplitude sine wave at the output, suggesting a gain of 4.61 V/V

Why is there a discrepancy between S-parameter and transient simulation. ? Am I missing something ?

Attached are the testbenches of the S-parameter and transient simulations.

Thanks,
Sharath

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sharath Raju

Re: Gain measurement using S21 and transient simulations using Cadence Spectre
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 1:21pm

Update: I solved the problem!

First off, I learned that there is more to the measurement of gain than simply measuring the S21. The following link talks about three different gains: transducer power gain, operating power gain and available power gain in the context of LNAs.
http://www.ek.isy.liu.se/courses/tsek03/SpectreRF_LNA533AN.pdf

I followed the above link and re-measured the gain. In the process, I discovered that I had made a few changes to the circuit in between measuring the S21 and transient gain! With the version inconsistency removed, I see an agreement between the values of operating power gain and transient gain  :)

Note: For those who are looking at the numbers in detail, my design does not have output impedance matching. Therefore the available power gain is negative  :o
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013, 2:17am by Sharath Raju »  

Gain_LNA_SS.png
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: Gain measurement using S21 and transient simulations using Cadence Spectre
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2013, 2:15am

Thank you for updating the thread! I read it from the beginning and thought the results was strange. What can I say, been there, done that (-:

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.