The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 7:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
impact of group delay on eye closser (Read 3327 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
impact of group delay on eye closser
Jan 31st, 2013, 4:14pm

dear all,

To analyze digital data Quality we use eye diagram, i agree but i want to know what are the impacts of different parameters like BW,GD. At the end of the day  a good sampler should sample with less BER. For example less BW will limit the signal swing in a given Tb, hence BER degradation which shows less horizontal opening on the eye diagram. Coming to group delay, assume i have receiver chain with enough BW but un- acceptable in band group delay ripple , so now signal will reach the level but the transition time between logic 1 and logic 0 depends on the bit pattern hence eye will be closed (i have no doubt on this), but if i have good CDR  which tracks slight dithering  then this won't be a problem. I would be glad if any expert can comment if any thing wrong in the above description.  

If there is no mistake in the above argument, then i would like partition between two causes which closes eye, one effect closes eye which is a real problem and another also closes eye, but with good CDR can be track-able.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: impact of group delay on eye closser
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2013, 11:18pm

Hi Raj.

I think the finite bandwidth dominates in your case. Group delay is not so important because the energy concentrates on fixed frequency point.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.