The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pnoise simulation for non-50% duty cycle clocks (Read 83 times)
Nath

pnoise simulation for non-50% duty cycle clocks
Feb 11th, 2013, 11:54am

Hi,
I'm trying to run a phase noise simulation on a non-50% duty cycle clock and I'm trying to figure out what tool would be the right one to use. I tried using pnoise sources in SpectreRF to do these simulations but it seems like the phase noise result from pnoise sources varies with duty cycle. My understanding is that the phase noise should be fairly independent of the duty cycle. So, this result does not make sense. May be this makes sense because pnoise sources does time averaging.

I then tried using "modulated" option in pnoise. The "modulated" option gives the AM and PM noise components and, it seems like, the AM noise portion changes with the duty cycle. The PM portion of the noise stays the same though. The part that's puzzling is that, on a non-50% duty cycle clock, I can see AM noise even after an ideal limiter. I'm not sure why there would be AM noise when the highs and the lows of the clock are perfectly ideal (after a limiter). So, there's something I'm missing and wanted to see if anyone could help me understand this better.

Thanks,
Nath.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: pnoise simulation for non-50% duty cycle clocks
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013, 12:27am

I would suggest that you take a look at the pnoise pmjitter analysis. It might be the most suitable one for your case.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.