The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 4:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converting integer to string in Verilog-A (Read 5658 times)
Deyan Levski

Converting integer to string in Verilog-A
Mar 22nd, 2013, 2:25am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a "filewriter" block in Verilog-A which automatically generates a new file on every simulation run, for the purpose of some Monte Carlo simulations.

I can use the $random function, to generate a random integer, to be used for the unique file name for every run. However I can not figure out how to convert integer to string in Verilog-A. To illustrate, here is an excerpt of what I am trying to do:

parameter real vThreshold = 1.65 ;
//parameter string fileName = "fileName.txt";
parameter string filePath = "/tmp/";
string concat_var;

integer outputFileId;
string fcat;

analog

begin

@(initial_step)
     begin
         fcat = $random;   // Apparently this is not allowed, how do I convert $random to string???
       concat_var = {filePath,fcat}; // Concatinate path and unique file name
         outputFileId = $fopen(concat_var); // Open a file in the specified path with the random name
     end      

@ (cross(V(CLK) - vThreshold, 1)) // On rising edge of clock begin appending to file
     begin
        $fwrite(outputFileId, "%1.24f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f\n", $realtime, V(vIn[15]),V(vIn[14]),V(vIn[13]),V(vIn[12]),V(vIn[11]),V(vIn[10]),V(vIn[9]),V(vIn[8]),V(vIn[7]),V(vIn[6]),V(vIn[5]),V(vIn[4]),V(vIn[3]),V(vIn[2]),V(vIn[1]),V(vIn[0])     );
        $fflush(outputFileId);
     end
end

It might be extremely simple and embarrasing asking such questions, but I was not able to find a solution over the net, nor the designer's guide manual to Verilog-A.

Regards,
Deyan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Converting integer to string in Verilog-A
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2013, 7:25am

Is Code:
string fcat; 

allowed in your simulator?  I think the Verilog-AMS language manual only says that string parameters are allowed.  Since strings are allowed in SystemVerilog, some simulators have probably allowed this functionality in Verilog-AMS.  In which case, you might be lucky and find that realtoa is available.

SV 1800-2009, section 6.16.15:
str.realtoa(r) stores the ASCII real representation of r into str (inverse of atoreal).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.