The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 9:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to set maximum and minimum allowed voltage for hspice convergence? (Read 2062 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

How to set maximum and minimum allowed voltage for hspice convergence?
Mar 20th, 2014, 11:32am

One of my simulation tends to converge to several thousands volts or negative voltage before totally give up.

If there is a knob to set the max and min allowed value during initial condition convergence, that may help simulator to converge.

Is there such knob available in hspice?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to set maximum and minimum allowed voltage for hspice convergence?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2014, 12:31pm

I have a vague recollection of a way to set a maximum per-iteration change of voltages.  However, I don't think this is necessarily a good idea.  The linear solver can end up with some crazy values when trying to use Newton's method to solve a nonlinear circuit.  Generally, the simulator vendors have some sophisticated methods of improving convergence, and any attempts to tinker with the voltages might end up working against the internal tricks.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to set maximum and minimum allowed voltage for hspice convergence?
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2014, 10:56am

I have also seen this kind of behaviour caused by poor Verilog A models. For example, I have seen a few cases where people model non-linear resistance with a quadratic (or higher order) equation, neglecting the fact that quadratic equations have multiple roots. If those roots represent completely non-physical behaviour, the simulator doesn't know that - so it may be a "correct" solution to have large negative voltages if the model is not reasonable...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.