The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using ADE-L & OCEAN to measure minimum value of AC wave (Read 1798 times)
koren

Using ADE-L & OCEAN to measure minimum value of AC wave
Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:58am

Hello all.
I am trying to measure minimum of an AC response, on Cadence ADE-L.
I use this function:  xmin( VF("/I0/PLUS" ) 1 )
I get no value displayed, even though, I can easily find it using plot. There is no error/warning message in the CIW.
The waveform does exist. If use a different waveform name, I do get an error, that xmin cannot get nil as first value...
What am I doing wrong?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Using ADE-L & OCEAN to measure minimum value of AC wave
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2014, 12:19am

This is because the results of an AC simulation are complex numbers - you get a waveform of these complex values versus frequency. Because they are complex, it allows you to find the mag, phase, real, or imag of the waveform. When you plot VF() without any modifiers, it plots the magnitude automatically.

However, the xmin, ymin functions etc do not make the same assumption. Instead they don't know which minimum you are talking about - and just return nil. So if you want the x value for the minimum magnitude, do:

xmin(mag(VF("/I0/PLUS" )) 1 )

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.