The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre transient run "sticking" (IC 6.1.5-64b) (Read 2794 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Spectre transient run "sticking" (IC 6.1.5-64b)
May 10th, 2014, 8:39am

Occasionally I'm having a problem with Spectre getting stuck on a particular point in the transient run. Instead of marching forward a few us at a time it inches forward at fs for hours.

This usually happens when I'm powering up or down.

I'm simulating a switched capacitor MOS circuit including a bandgap bias that uses pnps. I've checked all the obvious nodes for oscillation and can't find anything, but the circuit is so big I could have easily missed it. In my powered down state I tied floating nodes to Vdd or Vss.

Tiny changes in the circuit or even changing the length of simulation "fix" the problem for that particular corner, but then it crops up at another corner.

My simulation tolerances are "moderate" and I loosened ibstol to 10p (from 1p).

Is there any way to check which node it is getting stalled on, or loosen the accuracy when it gets stalled?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Spectre transient run "sticking" (IC 6.1.5-64b)
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2014, 10:29pm

I suggestion you take a look at the supply current. Often any problems get rolled up into the supply currents. Also, currents tend to be more sensitive to problems than voltages.

I suspect you have encountered a problem with trapezoidal rule ringing. It will show up as point to point ringing in the supply currents. If that is the case, you can solve the problem by switching the integration method to Gear2 (transient option method=gear2only).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Spectre transient run "sticking" (IC 6.1.5-64b)
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2014, 10:58am

Thanks Ken.

Setting cmin=1f seems to have helped too.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.