The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to find the worst case directly instead of Monte Carlo simulation? (Read 2568 times)
Jacki

how to find the worst case directly instead of Monte Carlo simulation?
Feb 24th, 2016, 7:03am

Hi,

I am thinking how to find the worst case directly instead of many runs of Monte Carlo simulation if I am not interested in the distribution, only want to find the worst case.
   About the mismatch variation, is it possible that I just add the threshold voltage mismatch directly? For example 50 mV for 65 nm CMOS technology.
   About the process variation, I think it is the most serious case. Normally we can choose fnsp or snfp for the worse case analysis. But is it possible to have the case in a differential Circuit, one branch has "snfp" and another branch has "fnsp". I know the variation on the same wafer within a small distance cannot be very large. Just wondering if it could happen or how we shall analyze the worst case directly.
   Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: how to find the worst case directly instead of Monte Carlo simulation?
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016, 12:02pm

If the statistics are Gaussian, then there's a small (but non-zero) chance of getting a VT mismatch that's larger than say the 3-sigma point, so what do you mean by "worst case"?

I heard about one company that does what I think they called "Hadamard sampling": rather than picking the value for each mismatch parameter from the Gaussian distribution, they pick each one at ±σ or ±3σ.  Then you're arguably more likely to get the worst case, since you're not doing all the runs with parameters close to nominal.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2016, 12:26am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 24th, 2016, 12:02pm:
If the statistics are Gaussian, then there's a small (but non-zero) chance of getting a VT mismatch that's larger than say the 3-sigma point, so what do you mean by "worst case"?

I heard about one company that does what I think they called "Hadamard sampling": rather than picking the value for each mismatch parameter from the Gaussian distribution, they pick each one at ±σ or ±3σ.  Then you're arguably more likely to get the worst case, since you're not doing all the runs with parameters close to nominal.

Hello Geoffrey_Coram,

Thank you very much for your reply. The worst case I mean is which can give me the largest mismatch and process variation. Currently, a single run takes me around 12 hours with liberal accuracy. If I try to find the case for ±σ or ±3σ, I still need to do a lot of run first. I just Wonder if I can avoid the Monte Carlo simulation, and based on the common experience to find the possible one or several worst cases, and run them directly.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2016, 12:49pm

If you're using Gaussian without truncation, then there is no worst case: the statistics can choose an arbitrarily large shift.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.