The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
constant current charging capacitor (Read 1105 times)
A.D.J

constant current charging capacitor
Aug 31st, 2016, 11:34am

I was trying to use constant I to charge one capacitor.
The charging process is based on the equation: I*t=CV.
If C=1pF, t=8us, I=10nA, so V=I*t/C=80mV. The schematic simulation is very closer to 80mV.
However, if changing the C=100fF, the expected V=8us*10nA/100fF=800mV. The simulation result is less than 800mV.
I have no idea what results in the voltage reduction.
Thank you.

--------------------------
Is it related to capacitor leakage current issue?
I read a article talked about the leakage current I is proportional to the  charges on the capacitor plate. For smaller capacitance, we got higher charge, so the leakage current is bigger. As a result, the final charged voltage could be smaller than expected.
Is that reasonable?
Thank you.

---
adj
View Profile   IP Logged
davidshw

China
Re: constant current charging capacitor
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2016, 6:25pm

to aid convergence, the simulator will add a resistor parallel with capacitor, which may cause leakage. you can try to set the gmin a smaller value to reduce the leakage.

.option gmin=1e-15

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: constant current charging capacitor
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2016, 10:14am

Or, if you don't want to play with gmin (which could affect other parts of your circuit), you could put a very large resistor in yourself.  Or, some simulators have a "switch" that you can have short to ground for the time=0 solution and then open up for t > 0.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.