The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it possible to view the source code of a SpectreRF function? (Read 66 times)
StevenH

Is it possible to view the source code of a SpectreRF function?
Apr 30th, 2021, 3:32am

There is a function in SpectreRF called "pn", it takes as an argument the results of a noise analysis and outputs the phase noise data at a given frequency (for example, pn('hbnoise)).

Is it possible to view the SKILL source code of this function to see how it's implemented? I'm more interested in the formula/convention that's used to define the phase noise (measured in dBc/Hz) rather than the code itself.

Say I do a PM noise analysis, and let's call the phase modulation magnitude spectrum outputted A in (V/sqrt(Hz)). Which mathematical formula does pn apply on A? Is it 10log(A^2/power(harmonic(1))? or 10log(A^2/harmonic(1)^2)? or is it something else?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Is it possible to view the source code of a SpectreRF function?
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2021, 7:44am

No you can't see the source for it, but it's computing:

db20(getData("out" "pnoise_pm") / (harmonic(v("pos" ?result "pss")-v("neg" ?result "pss") harmNum) / sqrt(2)))

where "pnoise_pm" is whatever the noise analysis was and "pss" is whatever the large-signal analysis was, and the "pos" and "neg" are the specified positive and negative output nodes for the pnoise analysis (if the negative node isn't specified, it defaults to ground).

The 'out" is the normal output noise from the analysis (it's always called "out"), so is in V/sqrt(Hz)

Andrew

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.