The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:41am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Series transistors (Read 26127 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Series transistors
Reply #30 - Dec 01st, 2006, 7:28am

Croaker wrote on Dec 1st, 2006, 4:44am:
Vivkr,

As for the proof discussed above, I think body-effect does matter, but as RobG mentioned, something else (not considered) cancels it out.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Let me recast your statement a little differently. The "body effect" does not matter. As you very rightly deduced from my previous posts, one can split a single MOS into as many sub-devices as one wishes, each with its own source and drain and each haveing its source at a different potential and hence seeing different amounts of body effect so to speak, from a source-oriented model perspective.

You have tempted me to try to explain something which I am not sure I understand well enough. So please excuse the various errors that I am source to make,  but here goes:

Looking at the above MOS structure from a charge perspective, you have the gate, bulk and the source and drain which are for all purposes
identical.

First, there is no voltage at either source/drain and you raise gate with respect to bulk (we are talking NMOS), you will induce a charge throughout
the channel. At any point, the charge in the channel is proportional to V(G) - V(x), where x is the position in channel between source and drain.

So, Q(x) ~ Cox( V(G) - V(x) -Vt0 )

Applying a finite +ve potential at Drain or Source will change V(x) at various points in the channel, reducing the Q(x) at various points in
response to increase in V(S) and/or V(D).

When V(S) goes up wrt V(B), the channel pinches off at Source, when V(D) goes up wrt V(B), the channel pinches off at drain. This identical phenomenon (in my opinion) are recast as "channel turn-off" and "drain pinchoff" when talking in source-oriented terms.

The fact that the channel charge at every single point is determined by V(G), V(x) wrt V(B) automatically should tell you that it is not a question of the "body effect" being absorbed anywhere, it is always there at each point in the channel. If it causes some of the transistors in your series arrangement to be "cut-off", then this does not mean that you have turned off the structure, only that the top ones behave like the pinched off end of a single MOS.

Since the channel potential is a strictly monotonic function of V(D) and V(S), we are used to oversimplification, and always think of the "body effect" as belonging to the source and to the source end alone.

Perhaps that is the problem. As to your other comment, yes it is unfortunate that such a simple and widely used structure cannot be simulate correctly. I would strongly advise you to look at the book by Tsividis. There is an excellent chapter on benchmarking models where he explains how to find out if your models are wirth using or not. I believe it is last chapter on modelling.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: Series transistors
Reply #31 - Dec 1st, 2006, 7:48am

Yup, I agree.  What you just said was what I meant when I said this:

"I guess you could say any point in the channel of the long transistor could be considered a source, and this source will have body-effect because it is not at the same potential as the reference source (actual source of long device)."

In case that isn't clear, what I meant was that you can break a long transistor anywhere in the channel and say it's one transistor with body-effect and one without.  So, there is body-effect for the FET with its source not at the bulk potential, but as you pointed out several posts ago, this doesn't change the end result...it's still just a long transistor.

When I said the body-effect still matters, I was thinking about the simple derivation I did with the error term.  I meant that there is probably a way to do a more detailed derivation where another factor eliminates the body-effect error term.

So, I think we can stop this line of discussion.

The conclusion I'm drawing from RobG's posts are that BSIM models can't be trusted to give the right results for series transistors.  And, the right result is that there should be no difference between series transistors and a long transistor.  

But really, I think the change in Vth with L really negates the whole idea that the series chain is the exact same as a long transistor!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.