The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 6:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC operating point Vs Transient analysis (Read 2340 times)
yagi

DC operating point Vs Transient analysis
Dec 03rd, 2006, 10:12am

I am designing a Fully differential two stage opamp with CMFB. It is being used as inverting amplifier Configuration (gain = -R2/R1). The design is for resistor based programmable gain amplfier with gain programmable from -11dB to 1dB. I am using SPECTRE for simulations.

When I do a DC operating point analysis on the PGA with the opamp, for gain setting above -3dB, the dc operating voltages look good and match my hand calculations. But for the gain settings below -3dB the Dc operating analysis shows that output common-mode of the PGA is going to ~0V. BUT the transient analysis with same DC voltage bias with "skipdc=yes" option, looks good and voltages at all nodes match my hand calculations.

Can I believe transient analysis results with "skipdc=yes" option, eventhough my DC operating point analysis is failing.

Is there anyway to reproduce transient analysis results in DC operating analysis for cases where DC operating point analysis is failing and Transient analysis are passing.

Please help me.

Thanks,
Yagi

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: DC operating point Vs Transient analysis
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2006, 9:27am

Yagi --

Last I checked, most simulators need to resolve a DC operating point before running a transient analysis.

Ken is probably the divine authority on simulator nuances however - email him on this.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.