The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 2:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise bump (Read 9643 times)
Visjnoe

Phase noise bump
Mar 22nd, 2007, 2:47am

Dear all,

please find enclosed a phase noise profile of a VCO: I'm seeing a 'bump' in its profile at the oscillation frequency.

What would be the physical explanation for this bump?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Typical_PLL_VCXO_Phasenoise.png
View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Phase noise bump
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:04am

The 'bump' is called a spur. I see a 32 MHz fund, a weak second harmonic, and a stronger third. The center freq is not specified.

Is the plot measured data or sim? If its measured then the 32 MHz could be a digital clock from an adjacent block, with duty cycle distortion. It's like how the old synthesized signal generators would exhibit spurs corresponding to the rpm of the equipment's cooling fan. If it's sim then your oscillator may have a weak second resonance riding on top of the fundamental mode - except that given the small signal level for this second mode we'd expect it to be highly sinusoidal.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:43am

You are seeing the harmonics of the VCO's fundamental frequency. Each harmonic is also contaminated with phase noise, that is why you are seeing them in the PNoise results.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:12am

Dear,

okay, thanks for the answer!

So, if I get this right, the 'first bump' is actually the second harmonic? Correct?

The plot is indeed obtained from simulation, not measurement and plots the phase noise relative to the fundamental carrier frequency (~32MHz).

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:53pm

You are doing a relative frequency sweep, so 0 Hz is the fundamental frequency. Thus, 32MHz would be the second harmonic. This would more obvious if you did an absolute frequency sweep from 0 to say 100MHz. They you would see the phase noise "tents" at 0, 32MHz, 64MHz, and 96MHz, which represent harmonics 0, 1, 2, and 3.

-Ken

jeffyan
Community Member

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2007, 7:54pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:53pm:
You are doing a relative frequency sweep, so 0 Hz is the fundamental frequency. Thus, 32MHz would be the second harmonic. This would more obvious if you did an absolute frequency sweep from 0 to say 100MHz. They you would see the phase noise "tents" at 0, 32MHz, 64MHz, and 96MHz, which represent harmonics 0, 1, 2, and 3.

-Ken

hi Ken,
if we do pss+pnoise analysis to PFD&CP, i think, we should set a absolute frequency sweep, right?
thanks.
jeff

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2007, 12:30am

It's your choice. Generally if you want to see close in noise, particularly on a log scale, you use relative. If you want to see the noise over a wide bandwidth, absolute is preferred.

-Ken

jeffyan
Community Member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2007, 2:17am

Ken Kundert wrote on Sep 20th, 2007, 12:30am:
It's your choice. Generally if you want to see close in noise, particularly on a log scale, you use relative. If you want to see the noise over a wide bandwidth, absolute is preferred.

-Ken

thanks Ken.
but the nosie plot is different near the dc and fref.
to PLL, the noise of cp is lowe-pass, and i think the noise near the fref can be filtered out greatly for narrow bandwidth PLL.So i think, using sweep type=absolute makes more sense in noise analysis of PLL. is it correct?

thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2007, 7:43am

Oh yeah. Of course. Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.