The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
simulation of switched capacitor filters (Read 6471 times)
manodipan
Community Member

simulation of switched capacitor filters
May 16th, 2008, 3:11am

Hi Guys,
I am facing some problem in getting the ac behavior(gain and phase) for a simple switched capacitor integrator.The continuous time version of the circuit with resistors is working perfectly,but resistors replaced by switched capacitors is giving me proper transient response but not ac response.can u guys suggest some solution?pls reply asap.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: simulation of switched capacitor filters
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2008, 5:04am

I can't find any design issue in your post.
Your question is not design issue but simple usage of EDA tool.  
Please post to "The Designer's Guide Community Forum ≫ Simulators ≫ RF or Circuit Simulators".

manodipan wrote on May 16th, 2008, 3:11am:
I am facing some problem in getting the ac behavior(gain and phase) for a simple switched capacitor integrator.The continuous time version of the circuit with resistors is working perfectly,but resistors replaced by switched capacitors is giving me proper transient response but not ac response.can u guys suggest some solution?pls reply asap.

Use a pulse wave having narrow width as input, then do FFT(DFT) of output transient waveform.
You can use this method by any Spice type transient simulator.

If you have SpectreRF of Cadence, use Shooting-PSS/PAC.
See http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf
You can also do same tasks using HSPICE-RF of Synopsys, SmartSpiceRF of Simucad, EldoRF of Mentor or NEXXIM of Ansoft, etc...

Attached figure is simple example of BP-SCF and corresponding BP-CTF.

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008, 6:22am by pancho_hideboo »  

BP-SCF.jpg
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2008, 8:24am

The classic "AC analysis" is applicable for continuous time systems. What you are describing is a switched system and a generic AC test doesn't work here.

In a similar way of thinking, you can't simulate logic circutis in an AC analysis.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2008, 2:03am

Hi manodipan,

there are two ways to perform an ac analysis to S/C circuits with any commercial simulation program.

But first, you have to convert each time-discrete S/C unit to a time continuous replacement.
This can be done with delay units which are to be designed either with transmission lines or with artificial units like controlled sources.

The method is described by M.S. Ghausi and K.R. Laker in "Modern Filter Design" (Prentice Hall, 1981) and by
B.D. Nelin in "analysis of switched capacitor networks using general-purpose circuit simulation programs", IEEE Trans circuits and systems, CAS-30, pp 43-48.

Nelin makes use of transmission lines. Another method to realize the delay function is proposed by a tschech author, however, I have not available the reference at the moment. I will give notice later.

The methods work very well and shows clearly the periodic behaviour of the transfer function.
I have used it very often to demonstrate the specific characteristics of S/C to the students.
It can be applied to all S/C approximations (EULER forward, backward and bilinear).    

Regards

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008, 2:41am

Hi manodipan,

as an attachement I send you the mentioned document from Biolek. He proposes to model both switch phases by two parallel circuits. However, I found some mistakes in his article. If you are interested I can give you some more information - either per e-mail or within this forum.

Regards
buddypoor

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
manodipan
Community Member

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008, 4:01am

Hi all,
Thanx a lot for your suggestions,i hope i will be able to fix it.The pdfs are really helpful...thanx buddypoor..

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.