The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 10:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO phase noise (Read 2756 times)
Faisal
Community Member

VCO phase noise
Jun 18th, 2008, 7:21am

Hi,

I have a question related to phase noise simulation of a "free running VCO" in SpectreRF. Using pnoise analsyis, I am able to see a phase noise value of about -55 dbC at 1 KHz.

However at lower offset frequencies such as 1, 10 and 100 Hz.. I see a ridiculously high values such as 30 dbC (i.e. even higher than the carrier). I know that this is not possible in reality, but there must be some explanation to this weird result (Most probably the pnoise settings)

Any ideas, here?

View Profile   IP Logged
Hyvonen

Re: VCO phase noise
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008, 7:56am

What's the amplitude at the fundamental oscillation frequency?

At very low frequency offsets flicker noise dominates the phase noise, (usually) with a ramp of 30dB/dec.  I've never simulated all the way down to 1Hz, but overall I think it makes sense that the simulation result for low-offset phase noise would be higher than the carrier power (although this is not physical).

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: VCO phase noise
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008, 8:28am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.