The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulating/Calculating Stability of LNA Cascade (Read 5318 times)
Tjuby

Simulating/Calculating Stability of LNA Cascade
Oct 10th, 2010, 2:51am

Hi. I've read some threads about stability of various amplifiers. But I am still looking for a good answer that is more in line with my problem.

I am designing a radiometer RF receiver using commercially available surface mount components.

To reach sufficient gain, I use three low-noise amps as the noise figure must be kept low. Now, an earlier experiment showed that if you cascade all three LNA's in close succession, the system will begin to oscillate within the passband. There was not done any stability calculations to verify if they would be stable.

So, my task has been to re-design for stability. Without losing gain, and without increasing noise factor. I've read for ages about stability, but I still do not understand all of it. I have no experience in designing amplifiers. In any case, since we use pre-fabricated amps, I do not know the topology. So to make any stability calculations I can only use the provided S-parameters as far as I know.

The only software I have available is CST Microwave Studio. If I simply do a S-parameter analysis, there are no signs of instability. I assume I can use the S-parameters for this device to calculate stability of a single LNA. This tells me (by both rollets and mu-stability factor) that the LNA is unconditionally stable.

From what I gather, I cannot compute the same parameters for all LNA's in cascade. Is this correct? I HAVE done this, just to check, and for a cascade of three such LNAs, they are still unconditionally stable. However, I know from experience, this is not true. What could influence the cascade to become unstable?

Without doing too much thinking, I ended up using an isolator to de-couple the first two LNA's and the last. I tried implementing this, and from all experiments, the system is now stable. So it worked. But I do not really know how to theoretically support it.

If anyone could share any throughts on my questions it would be highly appreciated. As of know, the only thing I can think of in my naivity, is that the isolator does two things:

1) It prevents the highly amplified signal to be reflected back and forth between the last two LNA's. This may prevent oscillation.

2) In addition, the distance between the devices is increased such that they do not influence each other through coupling of their electromagnetic fields.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tjuby

Re: Simulating/Calculating Stability of LNA Cascade
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2010, 3:14am

I will try Panchoo. English is not my first language.

1) I have an LNA (surface mount device). It is deliver by hittite.

2) I do not know its internal design. I only have its S-parameters.

3) It has a center frequency of 3.5 GHz and a bandwidth of 500 MHz.

4) I know from experience that if three such LNA's are cascaded, the system becomes unstable. It oscillates within the passband. I also know that if only two such LNA's are used, the cascade is stable.

5) Using the S-parameters, I calculate stability for one LNA. It is unconditionally stable.

6) How can I theoretically (by calculation or simulation), using only S-parameters, find stability measures for the entire cascade?

View Profile   IP Logged
Tjuby

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2010, 4:02am

Thank you. The only problem is, I do not think have the necessary means to do what they talk about the S-probe article.

But just to calrify:

1) Is it so, that rollets stability condition and its equivalents, are only valid for considering the stability of ONE active element, meaning only one amp ?

2) I have CST Microwave Studio at my disposal. In which I can simulate the total S-parameters of for example all three LNAs. Can I use this for more advanced stability analysis ?

Currently, I have tried, just for the sake of it. To compute stability parameters of the entire cascade, based on simulated S-parameters. This does not give me an indication that the cascade will oscillate.

3) Repeating from the first post. The problem is now solved, I inserted an isolator that operates in the passband of the LNAs. As two LNAs in cascade are stable, I thought, by de-coupling the last LNA, this could work. And it did. But the problem of theoretically supporting this idea still stands, as I am unable to present any simulated of calculated results to show the system will be stable.

Hehe.. I just don't know. Amplifiers and stability is not really my field. This is why I have some problems understanding everything about stability, consequently I also have some problems explaining my difficulties.

Is it possible that the only thing that was needed, was to increase the electrical distance between the amplifiers to change the phase output?

This new design also resulted in using separate power supply lines, and I guess this would have had a positive effect also?  

EDIT:

I see you edited you post while I was typing this. So sorry for any repeated questions.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tjuby

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2010, 4:40am

pancho_hideboo wrote on Oct 10th, 2010, 4:09am:
Tjuby wrote on Oct 10th, 2010, 4:02am:
Currently, I have tried, just for the sake of it.
To compute stability parameters of the entire cascade, based on simulated S-parameters.
This does not give me an indication that the cascade will oscillate.

1) Is it so,
that rollets stability condition and its equivalents, are only valid for considering the stability of ONE active element,
meaning only one amp ?
It could lose internal unstability or interstage unstability for cascaded system which have multi stages.

Yeah, that was what I feared. Meaning, such an analysis is just.. not very helpful. I can only verify that each single stage is, by itself, unconditionally stable.

2) I have CST Microwave Studio at my disposal. In which I can simulate the total S-parameters of for example all three LNAs.
Can I use this for more advanced stability analysis ?
No.

Is conventional AC analysis available in CST Microwave Studio ?

If not, try the method in http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1049348496/2#2
This is same as following.
http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/display/ads2009/SProbe2+%28SProbe2+Component%29

It seems AC-analysis is available. I have only used S-parameter analysis earlier, so I do not know how to use AC analysis to investigate the problem.

But the problem of theoretically supporting this idea still stands,
as I am unable to present any simulated of calculated results to show the system will be stable.
What do you want to mean ?

I mean that, since I cannot use rollets or mu factor with simulated S-parameters for the entire cascade. I have not actually been able to show, theoretically, that the cascade is unstable without the isolator, but stable with the isolator. This is the core of my problem, I am currenly at a loss of how I am supposed to conduct any simulation to show how the isolator helps to stabilize the cascade.

Is it possible that the only thing that was needed, was to increase the electrical distance between the amplifiers to change the phase output?
No, you are misunderstanding.
Even if you do so, phase rotation at output does not change.

I mean reducing feedback from output to input by increasing the electrical distance between the amplifiers.

Thanks for the clarification. But then, since the physical distance will be increased as the isolator is quite large. Will this also serve to increase the electrical length and reduce this feeback effect ?  

This new design also resulted in using separate power supply lines,
and I guess this would have had a positive effect also?
I think it could be helpful.
[/quote]

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2010, 6:57am

Tjuby wrote on Oct 10th, 2010, 4:40am:
It seems AC-analysis is available.
I have only used S-parameter analysis earlier,
so I do not know how to use AC analysis to investigate the problem.
See http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240334878/18#18

Yeah, that was what I feared. Meaning, such an analysis is just.. not very helpful.
I can only verify that each single stage is, by itself, unconditionally stable.
I mean that, since I cannot use rollets or mu factor with simulated S-parameters for the entire cascade.
I have not actually been able to show, theoretically, that the cascade is unstable without the isolator, but stable with the isolator.
This is the core of my problem,
I am currenly at a loss of how I am supposed to conduct any simulation to show how the isolator helps to stabilize the cascade.
If a cause of unstability is due to amplifier's coupling via power supply line or ground,
you can not take such effects into your simulation,
since you treat each amplifier as two-port S-parameter block.

Can you characterize each amplifier as three-port S-parameter block with power supply as 3rd port.

No, you are misunderstanding.
Even if you do so, phase rotation at output does not change.
I mean reducing feedback from output to input by increasing the electrical distance between the amplifiers.
Sorry, I was wrong.
If you increase the electrical distance between the amplifiers, phase rotation at output will large.
This could make cascaded system more unstable.

I mean reducing feedback from output to input by increasing the electrical distance between input and output of cascaded system.
For example, don't place three amplifiers in "U" figure or "L" figure.

But then, since the physical distance will be increased as the isolator is quite large.
Do you mean a physical size of "Isolator" ?

Will this also serve to increase the electrical length and reduce this feeback effect ?
No.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2010, 8:29am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.