The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with the mixer simulation (Read 3657 times)
harryhu

Problem with the mixer simulation
May 06th, 2012, 7:45am

Hello.

I am simulating a basic Gilbert downconverter, using PSS, PAC and PNoise. When I change the resistive load to be a first-order RC filtering load, I find that the simulated in-band gain drops and the simulated in-band noise figure increases. And there is no problem with the first-order filtering function and the filtering corner in the simulation results. How to explain this phenomena, or is there any possible problem with the simulation settings for this case?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
purplewolf

Re: Problem with the mixer simulation
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012, 7:13am

whats the performance without the Capacitor? Use only Resistive load and check

View Profile   IP Logged
harryhu

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012, 7:39am

There is no problem when using sole resistive load. After adding the parallel capacitors without any other modification, the performance degrades as mentioned earlier.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012, 8:50pm

has adding the output capacitor changed the LO slew or amplitude ? It will have change the output "sum" mixing product. is your output capacitor added common mode or differential mode ?
Anyway check the pss solution to see the delta in the steady state on the LO and output ports, both single-ended and differential, in both cases (with and without cap). Then you should see why your pnoise and pac give different results.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.