The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:37pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mentor vs. Cadence comparison (Read 3731 times)
flip_flop
Ex Member

Mentor vs. Cadence comparison
Sep 10th, 2002, 8:59am

Do we have some docs on the comparison Mentor's "ADVance_MS" vs. Cadence's "AMS designer"? Not from CAD prospective, but rather from designers prospective?
Thanks.

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Mentor vs. Cadence comparison
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2002, 4:32pm

I don't have any pointers to documents that describe the differences between the two offerings, design related or otherwise, but at the risk of being obvious, I can point out some of the better known differences.

Cadence's AMS Designer provides Verilog-AMS with digital VHDL whereas AdvanceMS provides VHDL-AMS with digital Verilog. Both will provide full Verilog-AMS and VHDL-AMS in the near future.  Mentor seems to be somewhat ahead as far as releasing products, but the products do not seem to be as well integrated. For example, my understanding is that in AdvanceMS there is a VHDL-AMS engine that is separate and distinct from the MTI VHDL engine. So there is some risk of inconsistency and incompatibility. For example, if you took a VHDL block that runs fine in MTI and add a small amount of analog content and fed it into AdvanceMS, it would be not be executed by the MTI engine, so there is some chance that it would not run in the same way, or would not run at all, not as a result of the analog part of the model, but rather due to the digital part of the model.

In contrast, AMS Designer sends all digital blocks, and the digital part of mixed-signal blocks, to the NC engine, and sends all analog blocks, and the analog parts of mixed-signal blocks to the Spectre engine, so there is much less chance of incompatibility or inconsistency.

However, I don't know how big an issue this is in practice.

Does anyone else have more specific information or experience with these two products?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
flip_flop
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2002, 7:09pm

Thanks, Ken!

Let me put a little bit more (just IMHO).

Mentor (Advance MS, Eldo, Eldo-Rf, Modelsim):
Advantages:
-      More mature (more years in business) for AMS
-               More capabilities (e.g. languages support for VHDL, Verilog, VHDL-AMS, Verilog-A, Verilog-AMS, C - all of them)
-      Fast simulator (MACHTA) is available (with some accuracy problems, though)

Disadvantages:
-      Not so good integrated in general design flow
-      Sometime difficult to use (trickies to run full-chip sims, not perfect signal viewer)
-               Not all standard VHDL features are present in VHDL-AMS (e.g. records, textio; however pure RTL/gate models in VHDL-AMS behave equivalent to MTI (VHDL or Verilog))

Cadence (AMS-designer, Spectre, Spectre-RF, NC-SIM)

Advantages:
-      Best integrated design flow (schematics, layout, modeling, signal integrity)
-      Orientation for integrated mixed signal design (tools cooperation)
-      Debug and postprocessing capabilities both for digital and analog blocks
-               Good signal viewer

Disadvantages:
-      Not very mature (for mixed signal sims)
-      Sometime difficult to use (especially for full-chip sims)
-               Still no VHDL-AMS (should be at the end of last year)

My opinon is that both AMS tools are still in a infancy and no matter what vendor you go with, you will still have problems.  However, both of them are getting better and mixed signal design teams will migrate to these tools.

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2002, 7:47pm

Good summary flip_flop. One feature that AMS Designer provides that was left out of your list was its co-simulation link to SPW, Cadence's system simulator.

And I agree with your conclusion that both are still immature, but getting better.

flip_flop
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2002, 8:09pm

Ken,

I agree - cosimulation links are very important. If you will tell me that AMS_designer has a direct link to Matlab/Simulink, it will be even more amazing   Wink

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2002, 8:40pm

Actually, SPW has direct links to Matlab/Simulink. And my understanding is that the link between SPW and NC is very close. So it might be worth trying.

flip_flop
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2002, 1:47pm

Uhhm ... It is not the direct link.

Also one more important feature - support of all possibilities of the analog design flow. "Think of AMS designer as NCsim + analog capability, for use in validating mixed signal ICs.  It is not the right tool for low level analog design work as it does not support DC, AC, parametric analysis or Ocean scripting. " [one designer, not me]  

IP Logged
nyc_guy

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2002, 1:03pm

One other differentiation may be in the debugging tools.  AMS Designer can help you debug Verilog, VHDL, VErilog-A and Verilog-AMS which comes in handy as you are learning the languages.  Not sure about teh Mentor tool.

View Profile   IP Logged
flip_flop
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2002, 1:32pm

[quote author=nyc_guy  link=1031673589/0#7 date=1031947414]One other differentiation may be in the debugging tools.  AMS Designer can help you debug Verilog, VHDL, VErilog-A and Verilog-AMS which comes in handy as you are learning the languages.  Not sure about teh Mentor tool. [/quote]
Mentor's tool has all possibilities for digital blocks (Verilog, VHDL, Modelsim on the top) and  some possibilities for VHDL-AMS. Cadence's debugging tools are better, and it is represented as an advantage in my short summary.

IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:39pm

I have seen some demos of AMS-simulink co-simulation..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:33pm

Flip_flop,

There is a direct link between AMS Designer and MATLAB, actually
Simulink. There is a demo of AMSD-MATLAB co-simulation included in
the SystemIC Reference Design Flow. In addition, there is now AMSD-
Ptolemy co-simulation.  

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:51pm

Is there anyone who already used one of the AMS simulators for a real project?

Is there a possible generic design which could be used as a public domain test case.

I consider using a textbook transceiver design. The testbench could be a complete receive path with an RF input signal and a settling PLL at the same time. Then 3-4 different refinements of AMS models are used to represent the topdown verification flow. The last level should be only spice including package and RC.

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:26pm

I have used the Cadence one for every one of my last 10 or so projects...
And plan to continue using it on future ones now that I am no longer an Employee..
Unfortunately no one I have met has been willing to fund a project to develop an OPEN design that could be used in this way.

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2005, 2:30pm

Hi,

I just wanted to add something to Ken's initial comment. AdvanceMS has a single kernel handling transistor-level, (VHDL-)AMS and VHDL. The single kernel feature is supposed to speed up the mixed-language simulation, depending on the amount of signals exchanged between the different languages. As Ken correctly states, this single kernel is not fully VHDL compliant, which means that in some cases, you have to define during compilation the later usage of the separate MTI VHDL engine. In my designs this works quite nicely, but of course it leaves some taste of "incomplete"...

I also wanted to mention AdvanceMS is able to run some simulation in combination with EldoRF, although I don't have any experience on that. Finally, as for most Mentor simulators Wink, it is more nicely embedded into the Virtuoso environment than into the MGC schematic editor.

There currently is a Modelsim-Simulink path, but I don't know whether there is any development for AdvanceMS.

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to use AMS-Designer, so I cannot compare.

Paul

Tommy

Tokyo, Japan
Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2005, 4:03am

Mentor guy tells me about
CommLib/BMC of ADMS (behavioural model calibration) to rapidly calibrate the models for accurate bottom-up verification.

Does Cadence's AMS designer have something similar?

thanks
Tom

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.