The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 12:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog and Mixed Signal Design Flow (Read 6711 times)
flip_flop
Ex Member

Analog and Mixed Signal Design Flow
Sep 15th, 2002, 3:46pm

I like Ken's paper
http://www.designers-guide.com/Design/top-down.pdf. However, for complicated mixed signal designs, probably it is worth to develop soft and hard macros, IP re-use, and so on (in order to speed up development.) So it will be not pure top-down design. Say, digital designers have advanced methodology, based on the IP re-use, Virtual Socket Interface (VSI), etc. They put well established rules in "Reuse Methodology Manual for System-On-A-Chip Designs" (by Michael Keating, Pierre Bricaud). Also the VSI site (http://www.vsi.org/) is very comprehensive.  Do we have some similar documents/papers in the analog and mixed signal design emphasis? Thanks.

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Analog and Mixed Signal Design Flow
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2002, 10:38pm

I'm not aware of much that is available. There is a bit in http://www.designers-guide.com/Design/MS-SOC.pdf, and you might find something in ...
  • H. Chang, E. Charbon, U. Choudhury, A. Demir, E. Felt, E. Liu, E. Malavasi, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, I. Vassiliou, A Top-Down,Constraint-Driven Design Methodology for Analog Integrated Circuits, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.

I don't think anybody is doing anything with soft IP for mixed-signal circuits, nor do I expect anybody will for a long time.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Henry Chang

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2002, 3:14pm

I agree with Ken.  I think that we're a long way away from having truly soft analog IP.  However, I think that hard analog IP does make sense today, and I think that there are opportunities for "firm" analog IP today as well to gain some of the advantages of re-use.

Chapter 8 of

• H. Chang, L. Cooke, M. Hunt, G. Martin, A. McNelly, L. Todd, Surviving the SoC Revolution, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.

discusses some ideas on what firm and hard analog IP would be.

Also, you mentioned the VSI in general.  Just to be certain, I think that the most applicable specification would be the "Analog/Mixed-Signal Extension Version 2 (AMS 1 2.x)".  This describes in detail what an IP provider of hard analog IP would have to deliver to an IP integrator for the IP integrator to be successful.  I believe that even if one went with "firm" IP, that ultimately the delivery of it to a mostly digital SoC would require that it be delivered as "hard" IP and thus this specification would still be applicable in part or in whole.

-Henry

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 5:31pm

Take a look at "Systematic Design of Analog IP Blocks" J. Vandenbussche, G. Gielen, M. Steyaert..
They describe some approaches like you are talking about.. but the circuits they use are quite amenable to automated methodology for re-layout which is a much smaller class than "circuits I want to use"..

Jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006, 3:14pm

Hard macros are a proven viable methodology in IP re-use.
Even there, you run into problems with noise in the applications environwement.

Design re-use across foundry processes is generally not viable for analog designs.
Too many changes in subtle things mess the process up.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.