The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 7:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About Jitter Extraction Using SpectreRF (Read 2026 times)
Aigneryu

About Jitter Extraction Using SpectreRF
Oct 30th, 2002, 8:21pm

Dear Ken:

I've recently read your paper about predicting the phase noise and jitter in PLL based Freq synthesizers. That's was indeed a great work, and I've learned a lot about phase&jitter in PLL's in a good depth. In this paper(phase+jitter), I still have encountered some problems. Maybe these problems are quite fundamental, I hope you can explain for me  in order to be sure that I didn't mistake or miss something.

First of all, when the effective gain of the PFD/CP, Kdet, was mentioned. It was said that I should scale this gain so that it has the units of A/sec. While eq(54) wrote:
Jee,pfd/cp=(T/2*pi*Kdet)*sqrt(var(n)/2)
I believed that the factor of "1/2" in "sqrt(var(n)/2)" counts for the two transition of a single cycle, "Jee" and "T" has the units of sec., and the "sqrt(var(n)/2)" has A.. So I thought "Kdet" should has the units of "A" instead of "A/sec". Have I mistaken something?

Secondly, In the extraction of jitter in either PFD/CP or dividers, it was recommended that I could set the "T" smaller in order to reduce the number of sideband needed. What I need to ask is that when "T" varies, doesn't the output noise change? IF the reason is that the changes could be negligible, how should I judge the side effect of smaller "T" which may away from the its operation range in a PLL. For instance, a certain divider in my PLL has an input range near 1GHz. Should I drive it at 2GHz or even higher freq. , of course not exceed its capability, in the jitter extraction process?

And the last question, all the derivation of jitter in this paper is based on the exception of 1/f noise. If I want to count for the effect of flicker noise, How should I modify the process of tranfer phase noise to jitter?

After all, I stiil want to thank you to offer such a good work in dealing with phase/jitter in PLL's. That was really a good paper. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: About Jitter Extraction Using SpectreRF
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2002, 12:27pm

Aigneryu,
   It might take me a little time to answer all three of your questions, so rather than make you wait to get all three answers at once, I will answer them one at a time.
Quote:
First of all, when the effective gain of the PFD/CP, Kdet, was mentioned. It was said that I should scale this gain so that it has the units of A/sec. In (54) you wrote:
   Jee,pfd/cp = (T/2*pi*Kdet)*sqrt(var(n)/2)
I believed that the factor of "1/2" in "sqrt(var(n)/2)" counts for the two transition of a single cycle, "Jee" and "T" has the units of sec., and the "sqrt(var(n)/2)" has A. So I thought "Kdet" should has the units of "A" instead of "A/sec". Have I mistaken something?

As defined earlier in the paper, Kdet has units of A/cycle (see listings 1 & 6). The statement "scale the gain" indicates that Kdet must be divided by T s/cycle to end up with a gain term with the desired units of A/s. In the paper I erroneously included a factor of 2pi which should be removed (thanks for helping me see that). To see that all the units work out, I'll give the corrected equation with the units of each term in quotes.
   Jee,pfd/cp "s" = T "s/cycle"/(Kdet "A/cycle")*sqrt(var(n "A2")/2)

Is it clear now?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2002, 6:10pm

Dear Ken:

Thanks a lot for your immediate response, and that's was indeed helpful for me. I am a new comer to Spectre, so I hope my questions didn't bother you if their answers are quite obvious! Smiley

-Aigneryu

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2002, 7:22pm

Aigneryu,
   Actually, I'm really glad you asked. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify and fix things. And I think your questions help to illuminate some rather subtle issues.

-Ken

Quote:
In the extraction of jitter in either PFD/CP or dividers, it was recommended that I could set the T smaller in order to reduce the number of sideband needed. What I need to ask is that when T varies, doesn't the output noise change? If the reason is that the changes could be negligible, how should I judge the side effect of smaller T which may away from the its operation range in a PLL. For instance, a certain divider in my PLL has an input range near 1GHz. Should I drive it at 2GHz or even higher freq., of course not exceed its capability, in the jitter extraction process?

The noise would vary with T, but the jitter (Jee) does not, at least if T is long enough so that the transitions are distinct. In other words, as long at T is large enough so that the transitions do not overlap, the jitter in each transition is independent of T. And since the simulation time is proportional to T (because the maxsidebands parameter must increase as T increases) it is best to use T as small as possible when extracting Jee. Typically, the limit on how small T can be is T > tr + tf, where tr and tf are the 10%-90% rise and fall times.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2002, 9:59am

Aigneryu,
   Here is the final installment.
-Ken
Quote:
And the last question, all the derivation of jitter in this paper is based on the exception of 1/f noise. If I want to count for the effect of flicker noise, How should I modify the process of tranfer phase noise to jitter?

The first thing you have to know is that most of the jitter metrics are unbounded in the presence of flicker noise (the one exception is cycle-to-cycle jitter because it ignores low frequency jitter). If you were to try to measure any of these metrics you would find the result would be finite, but would vary depending on how long you observed the jitter when making the measurement. The longer you observe the jitter, the greater the measured jitter.

Second, building a model that exhibits flicker noise is not easy. The only way I know to generate flicker noise in a time-domain simulator is to generate a white noise sequence, and then pass it through a half-pole integrator. So then the question becomes, how does one generate a half-pole integrator? The basic approach is to build a high-order filter where the poles and zeros alternate on the real frequency axis and are equally spaced in a logarithmic sense (this is discussed in The FracPole Suite in www.designers-guide.com/Modeling).

These problems with flicker noise are one of the reasons why I presented the phase domain models. They are well defined in the presence of flicker noise. In addition, I have yet to encounter an application in which flicker noise was important that wasn’t better handled in terms of phase noise. So, I haven't spent much time thinking about how to extract the jitter of systems that exhibit flicker noise. And other than identifying some of the problems, I don’t really have much to suggest.

Aigneryu

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2002, 6:03pm

Dear Ken:

Thanks a lot for your help. Indeed, the side effect caused by the flicker noise is almost negligible in most applications. I'm just curious of the reason why in the presence of flicker only the Jcc could be bounded. In most of this paper, only Jee was concerned and dealt with, but I'm stil wonder whether Jcc seems to be suitable for the analysis of PLL jitter. Maybe I have already made some mistake while  I follows my nose in the meaning of Jcc.
By the definition of Jcc
Jcc=var(T(i+1)-T(i))
    =var((t(i+2)-t(i+1))-(t(i+1)-t(i)))
    =E[((t(i+2)-t(i+1))-(t(i+1)-t(i)))^2]
    =E[(t(i+2)-2*t(i+1)-t(i))^2]
then I thought the final answer is (6)^0.5*Jee
Could you show my what's going wrong if Jcc should be (2)^0.5*Jee

Maybe I have inevitably made a stupid mistake while I can't find it myself Cry

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2002, 11:01pm

Aigneryu,
   I was following until I got to "the final answer is", and then things stopped making sense to me.  Allow me to derive Jcc from Jee.

Consider synchronous jitter and let Ti = T + dTi where dT is a random process with
Jee2 = var(dTi)
for all i. Then
Jcc2 = var(Ti+1 - Ti)
Jcc2 = var(T + dTi+1 - (T + dTi))
Jcc2 = var(dTi+1 - dTi)
If dTi+1 and dTi are uncorrelated, then
Jcc2 = var(dTi+1) + var(dTi)
Jcc2 = 2Jee2
Jcc = sqrt(2)Jee

With flicker noise Jee is unbounded. And so if dTi+1 and dTi were uncorrelated, then Jcc would also be unbounded. However, with flicker noise dTi+1 and dTi will be strongly correlated because flicker noise is a slowly varying process. In effect, the cycle-to-cycle jitter measures how much the flicker noise varies over the length of one cycle (which is bounded) whereas the edge-to-edge jitter measures how much the flicker noise varies over all time, and since flicker noise goes to infinity as frequency goes to zero, Jee is unbounded.

-Ken

Aigneryu

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2002, 3:00am

Dear Ken:
Thank you very much for offering me such a clear explanation.
I thought these answers have already pointed out what I had missed and mistaken for.
I should right now re-read this paper so as to resolve all the misunderstandings that confused me before! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2002, 3:45pm

I have one comment regarding flicker noise in PLLs. If it only affects the really close in PLL phase noise it may be irrelevant. The system using the data riding on the carrier probably has a tracking loop capable of following the close in phase noise. If it were me, I'd check the receiving end for a phase tracking loop and if one existed, I'd check the bandwidth, before building any detailed models of close in phase noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.