The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Measuring input impedance (Read 7811 times)
rajath

Measuring input impedance
Dec 26th, 2002, 8:44pm

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here, so pardon me if this has already been asked before.  I've  designed a CFB amplifer, and would  like to  measure it's ac input impedance ( the -ve terminal). Can anyone please suggest me a method of doing this with the  spectre simulator?

thanx.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Measuring input impedance
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2002, 12:10am

Rajath,
   In general one measures input impedance by first applying an input using small-signal voltage source and then calculating the input impedance by dividing the applied voltage by the resulting current that flows in the input source. Having said this, I suspect you are asking about something more subtle. However, I cannot give you any more information because I am not sure what a CFB amplifier is, or what a -ve terminal is. I assume that CFB stands for current feedback, but I don't yet see how measuring the input impedance of a current feedback amplifier would differ from doing the same for voltage feedback amplifier. Perhaps you can describe the situation in more detail?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rajath

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2002, 12:36am

I'm sorry for not explaining my problem fully. Actually I use the affirma  environment with the simulator being Hspice. Strangely,  this simulator does not allow me to plot the  terminal current when running the AC analysis.  I just  realised that  this  problem doesnt arise when i use the  spectre simulator, but I don't have the model files  for it Sad .
Of course I can always put  a resistor  in series and  find the current, but  is there a "classier" way ?!
      As you rightly presumed,  I was talking about the current feedback amplifier - which really shouldn't make a difference.  But  does it make sense to find the input impedance at DC quiescent  levels,  when  the amplifier input actually  sinks/sources  large-signal  currents during operation?

thanx.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2002, 12:50pm

Rajath,
   I'm afraid I will not be of much help with HSpice as I have never used it. My recommendation, of course, is to demand Spectre models. Wink

Concerning your question as to whether small-signal input impedance is sufficient, it will be if the amplifier is acting in a near-linear region.  Since this is a feedback amplifier, assuming linearity is probably very appropriate, as long as you are not interested in the effective input impedance while the amplifier is being driven into clipping.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
CaoThong

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2003, 12:15am

Hi,

Do you have any independant current source
available ? In that case, why don't you rather
inject an AC current into the circuit and plot the
voltage output instead it would give you the
impedance.

CaoThong

View Profile   IP Logged
Thomas Hansson

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2003, 5:54am

Hi
Or why not measure the input impedance using the zm as part of the s-parameters. Magnitude, real or imaginary part could be plotted.

Thomas

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.