The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oscillator Linewidth in the presence of 1/f noise (Read 46 times)
singhk

Oscillator Linewidth in the presence of 1/f noise
May 20th, 2003, 2:48pm

This is a question with regards to oscillator linewidth and 1/f noise. Hopefully, someone out there can answer this.

All the analysis I've seen thus far is based on white-noise broadening of the oscillator line-width to a Lorentzian form. I understand that even with flicker noise, the linewidth corner frequency can still be calculated by applying the power conservation principle (total integral over all frequencies for phase noise L(dF) = 1.0 ).

However, with flicker noise present, does the spectrum still look Lorentzian (i.e. flat) as delta_F->0 ? If it varies as 1/f, then we are back to the unbounded integral issue again (integral -> infinity as delta_F -> 0 ).

Thanks in advance for all comments.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Oscillator Linewidth in the presence of 1/f no
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2003, 4:14pm

As far as I know nobody has been able to analytically do the analysis for flicker noise, and I have not seen experimental results, but it is certainly my expectation that at low frequencies Sv will be flat. Remember that the amplitude of Sv is constrained by the amplitude of the signal. In particular, Sv cannot be proportional to 1/df for small df because the integral of 1/df from 0 to anything is infinity.

If it were me, I would assume that Sv for an oscillator with flicker noise has 3 regions:
~df -2 for large df (white noise region)
~df -3 for moderate df (flicker noise region)
~1 for small df (within the linewidth)
And I would determine the linewidth by letting it be a parameter, and then integrating over all three regions. I would then find the value of linewidth that results in the total area equaling the noisefree power of the signal.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Oscillator Linewidth in the presence of 1/f no
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2003, 4:41am

An analytical treatment by Alper Demir can be found at http://www.sigda.org/Archives/ProceedingArchives/Iccad/Iccad98/papers/1998/iccad... or http://home.ku.edu.tr/~aldemir/research/pubs/tcas002.pdf. There is no simple closed-form expression, but the approximations for various special cases confirm Ken's assumptions about the qualitative behavior.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.