The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:54pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trans analysis convergence difficulties in spectre (Read 11307 times)
tulip
Community Member

trans analysis convergence difficulties in spectre
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:59am

my circuit is a high frequency mixer(LO:1.5G, RF: 1.3G) circuit.

when simulated with transient analysis, spectre report " convergnence difficulties resulted in error requirements being unsatisfied."
"zero diagonal found in Jacobian at 'I0.I51.C0.1" and 'I0._net3",

I tried serveral methods, such as using gears method,
set gmin to 1e-18, set cmin to 1f, and set the maxstep,
but convergence difficulties still exit.

How can I slove this problem?

many thanks!  :)

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: trans analysis convergence difficulties in spe
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2003, 9:08pm

Spectre is telling you that there is a problem at 'I0.I51.C0.1" and 'I0._net3". There is some problem such as a floating node or loop of shorts there. When you look in that area, what do you find?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tulip
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2003, 12:54am

I changed my circuit a little. Now it do not report"zero diagonal found in Jacobian at 'I0.I51.C0.1" and 'I0._net3", but it still report" convergence difficulties resulted in error requirements being unsatisfied".

when I change the simulation option from conservative to moderate, the warning message disappears.

when I run the PSS analysis, the convergence problem still exits, and the circuit simulation stops before it get the results.

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2003, 9:15am

It seems as if the basic problem still exists. There appears to be some problem in the circuit or with a model near  'I0.I51.C0.1" and 'I0._net3". When you look in that area, what do you find?

-Ken

Venkatesh TS

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2005, 7:15pm

Hello,
      i'm also facing exact same issue. Spectre says
"Warning from spectre at time = 2.5016 ns during transient analysis `tran'.
   Convergence difficulties resulted in error requirements being unsatisfied."

What to do?

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2005, 9:45am

The message "Convergence difficulties resulted in error requirements being unsatisfied." indicates that Spectre could not take a time step small enough to maintain accuracy because of convergence problems. This implies that there is some problem in the circuit that only becomes exposed with small time steps. Typically, this happens when there are discontinuities in the capacitors. With large time steps (long time periods) the capacitors are diluted with the resistive portion of the circuit. But with very small time steps the capacitive part of the circuit dominates. In the extreme, with very small time steps, the effect of the resistive portion almost disappears. In this case, the capactive part of the circuit must be simulatable by itself. Thus, the capacitor models must all be continuous and there must be capacitive paths from all nodes to ground.

You can often circumvent this problem using cmin, which adds a capacitor from every node to ground, which provides the capacitive path to ground and tends to smooth the discontinuities.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.