The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:11am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with spectreRS for SC-CMFB (Read 280 times)
Count

Singapore
Help with spectreRS for SC-CMFB
Dec 17th, 2003, 6:44am

I have a differential opamp using SC-CMFB ckt and I would like to see the DCOP and the AC analysis. I found out that to do so I would need to use the PSS, PAC and PXF analysis priovided by spectreRF. However, I really do not know how to perform the test. Please help. THanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Help with spectreRS for SC-CMFB
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2003, 8:12am

Apply the clock only and run a PSS analysis. The PSS analysis will play the role of a DC analysis for a traditional amplifier. It computes the operating point, but rather than computing a simple DC operating point, it computes a "periodic operating point", with the period being that of the clock.

Then perform a PAC analysis to compute the transfer functions. The PAC analysis plays the role of an AC analysis for a traditional amplifier. To do so, start by setting pacmag=1 on some source. The start and stop frequency you specify on the PAC analysis define the frequency sweep range for this source. The PAC analysis computes the transfer function from that source to every node in the circuit. Because the clock is present, there will also be frequency conversion effects present. PAC can also compute the transfer functions from the source frequency to any sideband frequency f = k*fo, where fo is the clock frequency and k is an integer. You probably are interested in output signals that are at the same frequency as the input frequency, so you would observe sideband k=0.

I recommend reading the paper "Simulating switched-capacitor filters with SpectreRF" at www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Count

Singapore
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2003, 9:25pm

I tried to do a PSS analysis and there are some of the questions I want to ask. Is it possible to see all the node voltages on the schematic itself rather than plotting out the voltage of each node? Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2003, 11:01pm

I don't believe so. Artist only back-annotates the DC voltage (as computed by the DC operating point) to the schematic. I believe that you want to see the DC component of the node voltages as computed during the PSS analysis.

-Ken

Count

Singapore
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2003, 6:19am

Thanks for your rapid reply.
I hope I don't really bother you too much. One more question i.e. how do I test the configuration in figure 1 of http://www.dessent.net/resume/ee240-dessent.pdf ?

I tried using transient analysis but I guessed this is not the right way. Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2003, 1:53pm

The difficulty with that circuit is that in order to apply SpectreRF the analysis must occur about a steady-state solution. The circuit you are analyzing has no DC feedback, and so in practice the voltages on the input terminals will drift until they leave the compliance range for the amplifier. In order to analyze the circuit with SpectreRF, you will need to provide some form of feedback for DC signals. The feedback can be in the form of very large resistors, or it can be in the form of switched-capacitor resistors.  

Once you modify the circuit so that is has a steady-state response, then you can apply the PSS analysis followed by what ever small-signal analysis you are interested in.  

-Ken

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2003, 2:32pm

Here is the basic circuit ...

There is nothing in this circuit that sets the DC differential input level. Only capacitors are connected to the inputs of the opamp, and so DC input level is free to drift. And because the opamp is a high-gain amplifier, and offset on the input will cause the output to drift much faster. The drift on the input is often so small as to be unnoticeable, but the drift on the output can be substantial. Soon the amplifier drifts out of its proper operating region.

Having switched-capacitor common-mode feedback (SC-CMFB) aggravates this situation by injecting charge into the system that can cause the drift. This problem can be made even worse by the simulator itself, because it does not completely conserve charge (there is a section in my book about this). HSpice is notoriously bad at this. With Spectre you can dramatically reduce the charge error without slowing down the simulations much be tightening reltol by a factor of 10-100 while simultaneously loosening lteratio by the same factor. (reltol is a global simulator options, lteratio is an option of the transient and PSS analyses).

Tightening the tolerance acts to reduce the problem, but it does not eliminate it. The basic issue is that this circuit is not viable. If it were placed on chip as is, it would not take very long before charge would build up on the inputs and the amplifier would stop working. To eliminate the problem completely means that some way must be provided to properly fix the DC operating conditions at the input of the amplifier.  Clearly this amplifier is sitting in a test bench consisting of capacitors and voltage sources that is meant to "represent" the rest of the circuit. Well, an important piece was left out, the DC biasing. Somehow that aspect of the circuit must be included in the test bench.

There are a two basic ways of performing these simulations. The first is to simply force the circuit to the right operating point using switches, initial conditions, etc. and then hope it stays there long enough for you to make your measurements. For example, you can use the "switch" component in Spectre and configure it so that it forces the DC operating point in the DC analysis but opens up in AC or transient. Or you can set the operating point using initial conditions, perform a brief transient analysis, and then follow it up with an AC analysis with "prevoppoint=yes" set so that it performs the analysis using the last transient point as the operating point.

The other way is to include the DC biasing aspect of the larger circuit into the test bench. Presumably this involves more switches and clocks. Then you can use SpectreRF to perform the small-signal analyses and transient to predict slew rate and settling time.

-Ken

Count

Singapore
Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2003, 6:21am

Hi Ken, I still do not quite get it. Within the opamp itself, there's a dyanmic CMFB that forces the output DC to be the value I wanted. I have tried PSS and found out that the DCOP is indeed as expected. I use PAC to find out the open loop frequency response and it was as expected too. However, when I tried to perform the transient response, it just won't work.

I have tried the second method you mentioned but the transient analysis still failed. Correct me if I am mistaken, I could just do a transient analysis directly to find the settling time, right? Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2003, 9:16am

When you say that transient analysis failed, do you really mean that it failed? Or do you mean that you did not get the result you expected? I expect it is the latter, which implies that transient analysis is telling you something about your circuit that you did not know.

The low frequency feedback in your circuit only applies to the common-mode signal. And as you point out, the common mode signal is not drifting off. It is the differential mode signal that it drifting. It is differential feedback you need to apply at DC.

-Ken

The_One

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2003, 6:38pm

[quote author=Ken Kundert  link=1071672270/0#6 date=1071959529]Here is the basic circuit ...

The other way is to include the DC biasing aspect of the larger circuit into the test bench. Presumably this involves more switches and clocks. Then you can use SpectreRF to perform the small-signal analyses and transient to predict slew rate and settling time.

-Ken [/quote]

Hi Ken,

I am interested in your statement above. Would you mind to tell me what kind of larger circuit I need to use?

Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2003, 7:47am

There must be something in the larger circuit that provides differential DC feedback to the circuit. It could be large value resistors in parallel with the feedback capacitors, but more likely it is some switching network, such as auto-zero switches across the feedback capacitors or a switched-capacitor resistor that provides the feedback.

-Ken

The_One

Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2003, 9:41am

Thx Ken.
I will try it out.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rave

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2004, 2:45pm

Hi ken

I m using cadence icfb tool for running simulations with the NCSU kit, as u said above in order to run pac simulation we need to set pacmag=1 on one of the source. How do I do that, i tried setting AC magnitude on a simple DC voltage source as 1 but seems like that is not helping with the pac magnitude.

thanks

IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2004, 2:49am

There is a separate parameter on the sources called
"PAC magnitude". You're better off using the vsource component in analogLib which can be configured to be any kind of source (including dc), and has a toggle "display small signal parameter" (or something like that) which will then show up PAC Magnitude (either in volts or dBm)

Andrew.

Rave

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2004, 11:50am

Thanks Andrew

But I dont see any such component in my library, the analog library has a library voltage_sources which has the sources as ccvs, vcvs, vdc, vexp,vpulse,vpwl,vsin.

If i choose vdc, then the parameters are 'AC magnitude' 'AC phase' 'Noise' 'Temperature Coeff 1' 'Temperature Coeff 2'.

I dont think this 'AC magnitude' is 'pac magnitude'.

Is there any other way to get around this problem??

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.