The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transient Analysis in PSS (Read 10182 times)
The_One

Transient Analysis in PSS
Dec 18th, 2003, 11:02pm

Hi....

I have a problem with my ckt.
My ckt is some sort of mixed signal ckt. it is a fully differential opamp with Switched cap CMFB.

I want to test its slewing rate and its settling time.
Therefore i connected my ckt in the same configuration as suggested in the http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/diff.pdf

but the problem is the conventional trans analysis could not be used since there are also two clocks incorporated.

I have also read that PSS can do it. is it true? would you suggest the simulation setup i can use? e.g. the tstab, tstart, etc.

Thanks a lot.

ps: fyi, my opamp specification is 100dB gain Shocked, 150MHz GBW.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Transient Analysis in PSS
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2003, 11:42pm

Hmmm. Fully differential amplifier with switched-capacitor common-mode feedback. There seems to be a lot of those out and about these days.

So why is it that you feel you cannot simulate slew rate and settling time using transient analysis? You indicate it is because of the clocks, but I don't understand how the clock interfere.

PSS anc PAC/PNoise can be used to compute the small-signal characteristics of the circuit (transfer characteristics, noise, etc. with the clock present), it is not really for transient behavior such as slew rate and settling time. You can find out more about using SpectreRF to simulate switched-capacitor circuits by reading "Simulating switched-capacitor filters with SpectreRF" at http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
The_One

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2003, 12:10am

Hi,

so you mean that the conventional tran analysis should be able to do that?

Thx.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2003, 12:57am

Sure, why not?

-Ken

The_One

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2003, 1:26am

Hi, Ken...i have tried to do it just now, but it cant work...weird....do you have any other suggestion how to perform the Tran analysis? can PSS do the tran analysis?

Thx

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2003, 8:27am

I must be missing something. Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do and why it does not work?

-Ken

The_One

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2003, 7:10pm

Hi Ken,

I have sent u a pm...

thanks for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2003, 2:33pm

The_One

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2003, 6:41pm

[quote author=Ken Kundert  link=1071817367/0#7 date=1071959620]I recommend you also read http://www.designers-guide.com/Forum/?board=analog_design;action=display;num=107...

-Ken [/quote]

Hi Ken,

are there any guidelines to design the SC CMFB? in most of the books, there is only explanation how it works, but no design guidelines mentioned, eg. how large is the cap 1 and cap 2, how fast should i clock it.

Thanks for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2003, 12:01pm

Hi,

You must define the minimum equivalent resistance your amplifier can drive, this gives the upper limit to the capacitance value - clock frequency product. The lower limit of this product is given by loss of accuracy due to leakage currents and other practical issues.

Paul

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.