The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 15th, 2024, 11:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA Gain peaking at wrong frequency? (Read 51 times)
tintin

LNA Gain peaking at wrong frequency?
Feb 16th, 2004, 7:42pm

Hi,
 The LNA i've designed has an S21 that peaks at 5.1 GHz instead of the intended 5.6GHz. LNA uses standard cascode structure with source degeneration and inductor-capacitor input matching. None of the matching elements are affecting the peak resonance freq. I tried changing the output matching elements too - but though peaking freq. changes, gain drops due to bad matching. What affects the peaking frequency and how can it be modified? Plz help me out.

IP Logged
kokabanga

Re: LNA Gain peaking at wrong frequency?
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2004, 1:54pm

I had same problem how about reducing the "L"or "C" value at the drain of the CG part of your cascode which u must be using to implement the band pass filtering !!!!??? no??

cant u reduce it further?

so that u can maybe shift the tuning frequency up??

without probably affecting input match??

also there is one more effect I am facing.....I am doing an LNA at 900MHz and strangely any change in the input matching network such as a change in Ls or Lg is also changing my center frequency..maybe due to feedback through the substrate network as there seems to be no path thru the cascode itself...which is why we use a cascode in the first place!!!!

naren
View Profile   IP Logged
mannysingh

Re: LNA Gain peaking at wrong frequency?
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2004, 3:44pm

You can increase the Lg to move peak to the right but remember you'll pay for the power gain in terms of NF. It'll go up. If you have little margin for NF, your only choice is to increase the gain. Here's how you increaes the gain:

1) decrease Ls
2) increase W/L ratio
3) Add another Common Source stage with inductive degeneration.

I hope it helps.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.