The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 3:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to analyze the linearity of S/H? (Read 3016 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
How to analyze the linearity of S/H?
Mar 08th, 2004, 7:03pm

Hello,

I am designing a S/H circuitry with bootstrapped MOS switch. As well known, linearity is very important for S/H.

When I simulating the S/H circuitry using HSPICE, one sine waveform is applied to the input of S/H. Then the S/H gives an output waveform of first-order sample and hold, i.e., track and hold. FFT analysis is done for the output of S/H.

Because usually S/H is used as the frist stage of a pipelined ADC or other A2D converters. The A2D converter only samples the output of S/H when the S/H is in hold phase. What the output of S/H looks like is not important in the sample phase of S/H. I suspect whether I should put another S/H suceeding the first S/H to get a waveform much like zero-order sample and hold.

Would you please give me any advices?

Thanks in advance.

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: How to analyze the linearity of S/H?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2004, 12:38am

Do you have access to Spectre and SpectreRF? That would be the best thing to do. The RF analyses are perfect for analyzing both the noise and distortion of a S/H. See http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf for instructions on how to simulate a S/H with SpectreRF.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.