The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixer Noise Figure Measurement (Read 11431 times)
R. Zakai

Mixer Noise Figure Measurement
Mar 18th, 2004, 5:50pm

Can someone confirm that the actual noise figure measurements of a downconversion mixer using the Y-factor method or power gain method are single-side-band figures. I am following the assumption that all NF measurements involving a mixer are SSB. DSB nosie figure I believe is a 3dB improvement of the SSB NF by increasing the signal power.
Am I correct?
Rehan Zakai

View Profile   IP Logged
mgehring

Portland, OR
Re: Mixer Noise Figure Measurement
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2004, 12:27pm

Yes - the DSB figure implies that you have signals on both sidebands that will add in-phase after downconversion. The noise from both sidebands adds 3dB more than SSB ( assuming no image rejection ), and the signals add in phase to 6dB more signal than SSB, so the S/N is improved 3dB over SSB.

Personally, I don't know why anyone bothers with DSB NF, except to make their circuit look better. In most cases, it is a useless or misleading number.

View Profile   IP Logged
RC

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2005, 9:06am

if the modulated signal is DSB, it does matter. it is definitely not a useless number.

View Profile   IP Logged
cybq

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2006, 5:11am

I think SSB NF is the most case used item for evaluating the mixer noise performance, because there exist a image rejection filter before the mixer in down-converter.

But the DSB NF would be used in nowadays ZIF( direct conversion) receiver system, because the both sides of signal will be converted into the base band.

So, when simulating the NF of mixer, you must tell the simulator how to calculate the noise, where is it from.

(I'm system designer, not very familar with circuit design enviroment)

View Profile   IP Logged
sgong2006

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2007, 12:07am

I input thermal noise to the test unit, measure the output noise level, and estimate NF = Noise_output - Noise_input - Gain.
If the test unit is IF mixer, then the above calculated NF is SSB NF, which represent the true NF of that IF mixer;
If the test unit is direct conversion receiver (ZIF), then the above calculated NF is DSB NF, which represent the true NF of that Direct conversion Receiver.

Can anyone confirm about the above statement? Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.