The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: about sc filter simulation (Read 5505 times)
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: about sc filter simulation
Mar 21st, 2004, 11:54pm

Alice,
   What type of circuit follows your switched-capacitor filter? Is it a sampled-data circuit, such as a sample and hold or ADC, or is it a continuous-time circuit, such as a continuous-time anti-alias filter?  A sampled-data circuit is only sensitive to the noise your SC filter produces at the instant when it samples, while a continous-time circuit is sensitive to noise produced at all time during the clock cycle.

If your SC filter is followed by a continuous-time circuit, then you are interested in the continuous-time behavior. SpectreRF computes this directly. If your SC filter is followed by a sampled-data circuit, then you are interested in the discrete-time behavior of your circuit. In this case, you must either use SpectreRF's strobed-noise feature or add an ideal sample-and-hold to the output of you circuit so that only the noise at the sample point is measured.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:46pm

In my experience, you do not want to make things too ideal when simulating switched-capacitor circuits with circuit simulators. Particularly in regards to the switch. Infinite off resistance might be okay, but be sure the on resistance is reasonable. By reasonable, the switches on resistance should mimic the resistance produced by real CMOS switches.

Using ideal capacitors and opamps should not cause difficulties.

If you are using switches that exhibit a reasonable on resistance, and you are still having trouble, then I would carefully check your circuit to make sure that it is correct.

-Ken

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2004, 7:45am

You don't say how it is failing to converge. Is it failing to converge in DC, in transient or the tstab interval of PSS, or is the outer PSS iteration failing to converge.

-Ken

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2004, 7:35am

I'm afraid I cannot help you with practical design questions. Sorry.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.