The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spurs in a practical design (Read 3886 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Spurs in a practical design
Apr 12th, 2004, 9:30am

I have designed and tested a multi-frequency clock generator. The input frequency is 27MHz. To generate various frequencies of 1KHz synthesis resolution, cascaded PLLs are used. Each PLL is a charge pump PLL with the same loop bandwidth, but with different pre-divider and feedback divider. The first PLL has a pre-division ratio of 15 and feedback division ratio of 32. The output of the first PLL is of 57.6MHz. It is fed into another PLL which is succeed the first PLL. The later PLL is of pre-division ratio of 25, and feedback division ratio of 49. Its output is 112.896MHz. The final output is of 28.224MHz, which is generated through a divide-by-4 counter which the 112.896MHz output is fed to.

The measurement shows good phase noise at 100KHz offset, which is about 100dBc/Hz. However, the spectrum has spurs at 24KHz, 48KHz, 72KHz, and 96KHz. Obviously, the 72KHz spur is larger than other spurs. It is about 60dB lower than the carrier.  The other spurs is about 75 to 80dB lower than the carrier.

(The spectrum span is about 105KHz. We got it using a spectrum analyzer.)

I am confused very much. At first, I thought that the PFD update frequency of the first PLL was fed into the second PLL, amplified because located in the close loop bandwidth of the second PLL. But today I read "Frequency synthesis By phase lock" by William F. Egan. The book indicates that the division and multiplying has nothing to do with the modulation frequency, thus the locatioin of the sidebands on the spectrum.  

Do you have any good idea of this phenominen?

Thanks in advance.

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
sachin

Re: Spurs in a practical design
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2004, 2:49pm

I think problem is with spectrum analyzer that you are using . Clearly tell me which type of spectrum analyzer you are using to measure phase noise.
sachin

IP Logged
Yawei Guo

Re: Spurs in a practical design
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2004, 8:06am

Hello, Sachin,

Thanks for your warmful reply. However, I forget the type of the spectrum analyzer.

Yawei Guo

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.