The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Designing LC CMOS VCO (GSM900) (Read 2796 times)
shaanto

Melboune, Australia
Designing LC CMOS VCO (GSM900)
May 10th, 2004, 10:55pm

Hi all

I am designing a double cross-coupled LC CMOS VCO for GSM900. I am trying to figure out a way to determine the W/L ratios of the two pairs of cross-coupled PMOS and NMOS transistors. I would like to know what factors I would need to take into account while doing this. I did look a lot of papers presented but they all dealt with phase noise and design of the tank circuit. Are there any design equations to obtain the width and length..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
wccheng

Re: Designing LC CMOS VCO (GSM900)
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2004, 7:27pm

Dear Sir,

Actually, you could equate the circuit in the small signal analysis. You just need to make the gain of the transistor could compensate the total loss of the total parasitic resistance in the LC tank. The VCO could oscillate. Most of the VCO book will introduce this direct method to do it. The Phase Noise reduction is due to others factor. You could search some paper in the IEEE. I hope the reply could solve your problem. Wink

Best Regards,

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.