The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 8:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPECTRE or Spectre (Read 49 times)
Lieutenant Columbo

Just one more thing

SPECTRE or Spectre
Jun 01st, 2004, 11:56pm

Which is more correct? SPECTRE or Spectre?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: SPECTRE or Spectre
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:09am

Using all capital letters is usually reserved for acronyms such as SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis). Spectre is not an acronym, as such, only the first letter should be capitalized.

By the way, the name stems back to the days when Spectre was a harmonic balance simulator being developed at Berkeley. Originally it was named "Harmonica", a play on harmonic balance. Unfortunately, Compact Software decided to call their program "Microwave Harmonica". To avoid confusion, I decided to change the name. At the time, I have been talking about the program at conferences for some time, but had not yet released it and had given no date when it would be available. So I decided to call it Spectre because it meant "spectral apparition". The term "spectral" is a reference to the frequency domain nature of the harmonic balance algorithm. The term "apparition" basically means phantom, or "something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality".  It basically pokes fun at the fact that the program was not available.

Cadence eventually acquired the rights to the Spectre name, and the name of the Berkeley version was changed to hbsim.

-Ken

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2005, 10:02am by Ken Kundert »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.