The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 10:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
power supply & substrate noise (Read 3320 times)
VincentLee

power supply & substrate noise
Jun 03rd, 2004, 11:28pm

Hi everyone,

Who know the scale of power supply & substrate noise in mixed signal IC? Assume the power supply is 5V and the circuit is MCU. I plan to simulate the CMRR capability of differential circuit, hence add some noise sources is necessary, I think.  

I have heard that power supply & substrate noise belongs low frequency noise. I want to know the range of low frequency noise, and is 10Hz~1MHz resonable? How about the amplitude of the noise, maybe 50mv?

If I know the frequency range & amplitude of power supply noise, then I can generate the noise signal by Matlab, which can be as a PWL noise source added to the circuit. Finally, running transient analysis can observe the CMRR capability.

Thanks & best regards,
Vincent

try my best...
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: power supply & substrate noise
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2004, 10:02pm

Hello, Vincent,

I think the substrate and power noises depend on your circuit, package, and PCB. You'd better search a few papers about substrate noise on IEEExplore.

Generally, the issue is divided into two faces. One is the generation of switching noise, ther other is the shielding of the sensitive circuits.

If you want to simulate with substrate noise, please add the bonding wire model in your circuit, and put a small serial resistor, say 1 or 2 Ohm,  in your voltage source. I though that is much easier and more accurate than PWL source generated using MATLAb. Obviously, the switching noise on substrate and power is not a PWL source, but often a damping sinusoidal source.

By the way, CMRR is a AC parameter, I don't think you can get it from a transient simulation.

I hope it is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
modern_analog

Re: power supply & substrate noise
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2004, 11:31am

Its not entirely true that CMRR is not material in this case.

I think Vincent wants to apply noise on the supplies and see its effect on the output.

Vincent, remember to skew the differential resistors. If you don't do that your output will not change when noise is added, ie mismatch is the only thing that translates a perfectly common-mode signal into a differential output, thus giving a finite CMRR.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.