The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 9:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pnoise simulation for LC Oscillator (Read 2814 times)
froggy

Pnoise simulation for LC Oscillator
Jul 19th, 2004, 3:05am

I am doing a LC Oscillator design at the present moment and I would like to run a phase noise simulation.  Under what condition, should I set "Input Source" in the Pnoise analysis form?   ???

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Pnoise simulation for LC Oscillator
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2004, 8:22am

I believe I can answer this one if I understood your question correctly. I believe you want to perform an autonomous PSS analysis followed by a pnoise analysis. There should be no independent periodic sources in your schematic. However, you may have non-zero DC and perhaps AC sources. I believe the "input source" entry in the pnoise form defines your input point for noise figure analysis. Since you are interested in phase noise, not noise figure, you are free to chose any independent dc or ac source you like. (By ac I mean small signal frequency domain source, one that does nothing in a tranisent simulation.) The source you chose makes no difference in your phase noise analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Pnoise simulation for LC Oscillator
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2004, 12:48am

In fact you probably want to set the input source to "None" (you
have a choice of voltage source, port, current source, or None),
since the input source is usually irrelevant for an oscillator
unless there is some source you want to input refer the noise to
(unusual though).

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.